Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Home Defense GSD

Quote Originally Posted by old pudd fisher View Post
    Hey Mike check out one of the animal adoption shelters, that's where I got all my dogs they are the best ever and need a good home. I wanted to bring all of them home if I could.
    Our last dog, RIP, was a shelter dog. Best dog I have ever had. Her loyalty had no bounds and was the best watchdog I have ever known.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssortasober View Post
    This guy right here, he's not nice at all. He's good at herding sheep.
    I don't own any sheep
    Your avatar? Is a collie? My dad recently brought home an Australian Cattle Dog, also known as a Heeler. He also has no cattle or sheep. Cool dog. With the lack of farm animals, the dog is left to herd humans.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Quagga View Post
    Personally, my favorite dog was my Belgian Shepherd. Fast, agile, active, great around the kids. She could bound through snow like nobody's business, and damn near ran down a deer that came down the hillside near the house.

I found out much later that they are the breed of choice for the Secret Service, and have taken down fence hoppers at the White House. But they demand constant activity and attention, and left to their own devices will start tearing things apart. Definitely not "latchkey" dogs.
    I definitely need something that has some independence. I was planning to take a lot of vacation in the beginning to train and house break. After that the dog will be left indoors during normal work hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Dci4me View Post
    Your avatar? Is a collie? My dad recently brought home an Australian Cattle Dog, also known as a Heeler. He also has no cattle or sheep. Cool dog. With the lack of farm animals, the dog is left to herd humans.
    My sister lives in a rural area and owns horses, pigs, chickens, digs, cats, etc. One of her dogs is an Australian, who loves to nip at the ankles of anything walking by. Very easygoing and loves praise.

Funny thing - he decimated the ground squirrel population my sister had on her property.

Not so funny - he slaughtered a couple of the chickens out of boredom.

You definitely need to keep them active, especially around other livestock.

Dog are so much fun, here is my little one kickin the big dogs *** at play time.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAA_1194.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	50322Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAA_1190.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	50323

Yeah he's a border collie. He herds my kids and hunts bacon. He gets bored so I gotta take him out regularly

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12