Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Castaic lake, some dinks, striper boil fail.. report and vid.

Default Castaic lake, some dinks, striper boil fail.. report and vid.

havent been able to make it out much and when i do its never good times usually if i get out its like 1030am up to 6pm if i even stay that late which i havent because its been too hot.
    i always take my ultralight with 2-4# line for when the bite is tough and some large or medium nightcrawlers. i know the mornings and evenings have been good at castaic. even boiling near the shorelines you can fish. i dont target striper i usually use one pole with a search bait and follow up with the ultralight with a drop shot plastic worm usually wacky rigged. movement is key if you want largemouth to find the active fish. i figure the search bait will get an active fish and get the attention of the lazier ones and the dropshot should be able to pick up one if they arent in super lazy drag directly in front of their face mode. when i started doing that strat i started catching more fish. though summertime is still a pain in off hours. but the ultralight can score some nice blues some dinks some super small fingerlings ect just to make the day a little fun instead of going home without a catch. small fish can bring back feelings of being a kid again so i recommend it if you are on a skunk streak. the other day i even got a 9-10" redear on the ultralight. i have posted vids directly after i have went to castaic went back next day and had people in the same spot who saw my vid on youtube. i dont mind. it didnt bring crowds and they were set up for bait and wait for stripers. i fished hard over the past year or so so im rookie for largemouth bass and even lake fishing but i put in the time and i learned a lot and really you never know what can happen thats part of the fun of going. one day you can get first cast fish, next day you can catch 5 nice sized fish, next day you can skunk. and usually most the catches are varied in diff spots. though i still believe the true lunks still hold thier own areas of the lake. overall the lake is very dynamic. so get out and try. so here a vid of a couple dinks i got lately and the striper boil i failed on.... if i can catch em in the off hours i go then anyone should be able to put in some time and catch fish there going during morning and evening bite times and even off times like me.
    the striper boil in vid though is early am right at opening. i hate the lake sometimes it should open up 2 hours before sunrise and close 2-3 hours after dark not sunrise to sunset i feel at castaic you truly miss the best time to fish...and the lagoon is a piece of pie while castaic is the full pie.. where i really want to be hunting for the big big largemouth at 2 am... though the lagoon does have some hogs that are worth night fishing for.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sneMafEkQZM
    Last edited by jdogg661420; 09-09-2017 at 10:00 PM.

Nice report and video.

Thanks for sharing.