Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Mammoth and June 9/2-9/3

Default Mammoth and June 9/2-9/3

Went to Mammoth for Labor Day weekend. Beautiful as usual, crowded as expected. Got our limit of stockers from various lakes, no big ones this trip.

I can't stress enough how important a boat is. The last few trips the fish have been out really far, beyond normal casting distance. Combine that with weeds, rocks, and wind and most shore fishermen went home empty-handed. The typical combo of trout rod, egg sinker, and 2ft leader just isn't in the right zone.

Lake Mary: Hit the shore along the right side. Boats were getting a slow pick of stockers. We were casting past them for more stockers. Lots of tall weeds, use a long leader. A surprising increase in the amount of nonfishermen on kayaks, paddleboards, and swimming.

Lake Mamie: A family had the spot near the road, and as far as I could see, their kids were on fish consistently. Our group hit the left side for a bit. We were casting among the float tubers and caught a few. Lots of rocks, use a bubble. Also, none from the bridge. But it's always fun to try catching a big one among the crowds, you know everyone and their mother has thrown the kitchen sink at them.

Mammoth Creek: Not many fish in the typical pools. Found a few but the creek was fast and shallow. Not sure how that combo happens.

Grant Lake: Same conditions as Lake Mary. Fish were out far, weeds were tall. We love this lake but it can get hot! Take your shade tent. Also watch out for skinny dippers...

Reverse Creek: Shallow and few fish in the typical pools. Still fun trying to catch fish that you can see. Watch out for kayakers and skinny dippers (wish I was joking on both accounts)...

Gull Lake: Can't go wrong on this lake. Get a boat, go anywhere, and catch fish. Plus there's always a chance for a big one. If there's one lake I'd recommend people this is it.

edit: Can someone tell me if Burgers Restaurant in Mammoth has changed their beef dip sandwich? I was sorely dissapointed that the meat appeared to be pressed beef(thicker, rubbery, and didn't seem like roast). I swear I've had it within the past 2 years and yelp pictures from last year look normal. But the waitress says they haven't changed the recipe in 10+years.
    Last edited by Temp; 09-05-2017 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp View Post
    Went to Mammoth for Labor Day weekend. Beautiful as usual, crowded as expected. Got our limit of stockers from various lakes, no big ones this trip.

I can't stress enough how important a boat is. The last few trips the fish have been out really far, beyond normal casting distance. Combine that with weeds, rocks, and wind and most shore fishermen went home empty-handed. The typical combo of trout rod, egg sinker, and 2ft leader just isn't in the right zone.

Lake Mary: Hit the shore along the right side. Boats were getting a slow pick of stockers. We were casting past them for more stockers. Lots of tall weeds, use a long leader. A surprising increase in the amount of nonfishermen on kayaks, paddleboards, and swimming.

Lake Mamie: A family had the spot near the road, and as far as I could see, their kids were on fish consistently. Our group hit the left side for a bit. We were casting among the float tubers and caught a few. Lots of rocks, use a bubble. Also, none from the bridge. But it's always fun to try catching a big one among the crowds, you know everyone and their mother has thrown the kitchen sink at them.

Mammoth Creek: Not many fish in the typical pools. Found a few but the creek was fast and shallow. Not sure how that combo happens.

Grant Lake: Same conditions as Lake Mary. Fish were out far, weeds were tall. We love this lake but it can get hot! Take your shade tent. Also watch out for skinny dippers...

Reverse Creek: Shallow and few fish in the typical pools. Still fun trying to catch fish that you can see. Watch out for kayakers and skinny dippers (wish I was joking on both accounts)...

Gull Lake: Can't go wrong on this lake. Get a boat, go anywhere, and catch fish. Plus there's always a chance for a big one. If there's one lake I'd recommend people this is it.

edit: Can someone tell me if Burgers Restaurant in Mammoth has changed their beef dip sandwich? I was sorely dissapointed that the meat appeared to be pressed beef(thicker, rubbery, and didn't seem like roast). I swear I've had it within the past 2 years and yelp pictures from last year look normal. But the waitress says they haven't changed the recipe in 10+years.
    great report. Lol were people naked in the creek ? I've never cared for that restaurant btw. The food seemed old. Not fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by CHUCKY View Post
    great report. Lol were people naked in the creek ? I've never cared for that restaurant btw. The food seemed old. Not fresh.
    We ate there a few years ago, worst burger I've ever eaten.

John

Everyone has their opinion and that's what yelp is for.

I'm asking for info from regulars. Specifically about the beef dip sandwich.

Nice detailed report! Sounds like you were able to hit a nice variety of waters and get your fish. WTG!

Quote Originally Posted by Temp View Post
    Everyone has their opinion and that's what yelp is for.

I'm asking for info from regulars. Specifically about the beef dip sandwich.
    They have a great beef dip at the The Stove. Thursday it's the special.

John