Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing the wood, tying to help the site kick back up.

Default Fishing the wood, tying to help the site kick back up.

What's up been a long time since I posted on here. Been reading the reports and this site is dying. I am guilty of it too, just reading no posting. Well here is some silverwood news. I've been there pretty much every weekend since may. I'm the guy in the klamath just trolling around with my kids. The action as of late has been kind of slow for the nicer fish, but the the little skoolies are on the chew. In the morning I'll troll through Cleghorn and miller hoping for a wopper and watching for the boils. I'm trolling a rattle trap it a bass pro special and it is a striper color. The other lure I am trolling is an all white jerk bait also bass pro brand. Not the exact names but it you are interested I can get those to you. I also troll a kastmaster colors cut throat, rainbow, brown all the trout colors 1/4 Oz. A few weeks back I picked up a 6 pounder on a cutthroat color over by the inlet closer to the dam. If I see the boils I slowly approach and we cast our kastmasters in and have some fun. Nothing big but a grip of skoolies. Kids love it.

After I make my way through miller and Cleghorn and troll the quarry, over to the east side of the lake, back across the north side by the dam, then the spill way, over by the inlet and in that general area for a little while. If nothing is going I head back in in hopes of some boils so the kids can play. Also been drifting bait. Find the fish on your meter, usually they are holding on the edge of a bump latley it has been in 30 to 50 feet depending on how hot it has been. Find a big bump of them on the bottom and see which way you are gonna drift. Tie a dropper loop I usually leave the hook up 2 feet up from the weight put on a chovie and drift through it. You will pick something up. You may have to chang hook sizes if they are skoolies. I've been using from 4 to size 1/0 depending on if I feel lucky.

Another thing about trolling I start big them as the morning goes on, about every hour or other hour, I size down. Seems to work. I ve caught some descent fish on some small bait and small lures bigger isn't always better. We also tried for some bucket mouth in the first cove on the left of the main channel. My kid hooked 1 on a kastmaster, rainbow color just cast close to the weeds along the edge they are in there. Not much of a bucket mouth fisher but the kid wants to get his pics with them lol. I've got some pics I'll try to get up of our catches. I'll add more as I think of it.

Been on this site for a long time and it is sad to see how dead it has been now for a while. Use to be a lot of good guys on here posting a lot. Hopefully we can all get this going again. I understand the whole my secret spot but there are fish all over the lake believe me. Just be patient and they will come. It also helps if you yell " HERE FISHY FISHY FISHY" as loud as you can close to the water, remember the fish are deep and it's hard for them to hear you under the water. That's my biggest secret that I can think of.

Also another thing we are all there to have a good time and catch some fish. Our common enemies are the wave runners and the cool guys who want blast by you at 30 and try to hit you with their buddy they are dragging on an inner tube. I am usually out of there by 11. Too many lice after that. If you have any questions feel free
    The pics are messed up, doing this on my phone sorry. If you ever want to go fishing let me know we can hit the wood any time. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170820_085130.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	50303Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170820_081305.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	99.5 KB 
ID:	50304
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170819_131628.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	50305   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0800.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	50306   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2017-04-02-17-35-05.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	50307  
    Last edited by phelanfisher; 09-05-2017 at 06:46 PM.

Great report and info, I haven't been to the wood this year but love to fish there on my family camping trips. I wish I had a report to post but sadly I have been landlocked with a new baby. We can get this site back, just need to ignore the BS and go/talk fishing more.

Thanks for the report! Great info in there. Way to go in getting the kids out there! Got to keep our sport alive as well as the website...

Great report trying to get back out there now since holidays and school back in so lake should be less crowded. Thanks for the great report.

The logic of starting larger then as sun gets brighter going small is solid. You don't want to give them to big of a profile when they can see better and besides they are feeding mostly on smalll silversides and baby lmb's right now, match the hatch.

The "boils" (it's really hard to compare shad boils which no longer occur at Silverwood to stripers feeding on silversides) were starting to get get going decent 2-3 weeks ago but since seemed to have slowed down. I am looking forward to the first real cold front to see if that stimulates them to get more aggressive and consistent in their feeding habits.
    Last edited by seal; 09-07-2017 at 09:28 AM.

Yes since it got hot the big players have slowed way down. Back in may it was on. This is the first year with a boat on the lake so it will be fun to see the change in the season to when they shut down when it is super cold. Gonna try out some trout action this winter. Went to big bear at the beginning of the summer on vacation and had fun with them so I can't wait to see what we can do at the wood this winter. Also slow troll for some toads that are looking for a big meal.

Great report and thanks for sharing bro. Others should follow your lead. We need some life back on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by iPhish View Post
    Great report and thanks for sharing bro. Others should follow your lead. We need some life back on this site.
    I'm guilty of it too. I fish the wood every weekend sometimes bothts days. If I'm not there I'm off the coast. Like everyone else I look to see and think it's dead. I'll be posting and looking if I can add to the knowledge of the site. The little I have. Nobody wants to give out their secret spots and knowledge. I understand that, I've spent a lot of time and money out there learning what I know, but what works for me may not work for another. I watch YouTube and read all I can take what I know mix it with what I see and read and it pays off. Hell go to any lake cast out some dead bait and catch fish that's where I started.

Here's another way to learn. Hit up any guide for any lake, pay and watch what they do and write down where they fish. Hell I know 1 guide I talked to said he wold take me out on my boat and show me exactly what he does, any lake I want. The people out there who pay to fish are gonna pay. Someone who wants to take their kids out hell why not help the kids have a good time. My kids get bored quick when the fish aren't cooperating. The guy who is out there because he is addicted like some of us will take everything he reads and sees and make it his own. Let's just hope they go out there and show each other respect.

Hey man, thanks for taking the time to post the report and pics, its great to hear that someone is catching some nice ones at the Wood. I haven't been to the wood in a year and a half, since I sold my tracker. It makes me sad and I really want to get another boat but its hard for me to justify the cost especially since my favorite place (Irvine) is shut down and I moved 90 miles away from the Wood. I don't like DVL, only caught one jailbird there after many long disappointing days on that lake, and the Wood has produced at least one striper every single time I've gone. I have no secrets, it's not like someone is gonna take my techniques and wipe the place out of 8-16" schoolies. I almost always troll with a DR or lead, and use zoom flukes medium sized on a scrounger head. The scrounger makes all the difference, and the flukes vary by day on what size and color they like. I haven't had any luck with hardware, even big plugs, they always hit the flukes. Never caught a trout at the wood either, even when I target them. Sometimes catch a nice fat largie on the troll by accident, thats always fun. Anyways tight lines my man, keep posting reports, I for one appreciate them very much. I'm sure many others do as well, even though they keep their mouths shut.

is the stripera safe to eat...i thought i seen warning signs not to eat...i could be wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast