Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Republicans have some "Splaning" to do about Hurricane Harvey!!!

Fact #1. No significant temperature changes since 1997.
    Fact#2. There is not enough historical data to prove this.
    Fact#3. Arctic ice has INCREASED by 50% since 2012. Al gore said all the ice would be gone by 2013
    Fact#4. Climate models are proven to be inaccurate and unreliable.

Quote Originally Posted by CHUCKY View Post
    Fact #1. No significant temperature changes since 1997.
    False. Annual averages have more than doubled since 1997, based on the 30-year ('51-'80) average.

Fact#2. There is not enough historical data to prove this.
    False. Global climate data going back to 1880 (roughly the start of the Second Industrial Revolution) is readily available.

Fact#3. Arctic ice has INCREASED by 50% since 2012.
    Arctic ice has increased by 1.1 million square kilometers since 2012, after a 4.21 million square kilometer loss since 1980. It remains down by 3.1 million square kilometers since '80, and is in fact still lower than the 30-year ('81-'10) average.

Fact#4. Climate models are proven to be inaccurate and unreliable.
    Based on whose research? Michael Crichton's?

Arctic sea ice is increasing? LOL Chucky must be looking at the world upside down. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_sea_ice_decline

Antarctic sea ice is increasing, but according to researchers, at 1/3 the rate that arctic ice is decreasing. Furthermore, this is only temporary before Antarctic sea ice is expected to decrease. In fact, Antarctic land ice has been decreasing, which contributes to sea level rise, and the reason that the sea ice has been increasing is because the melting freshwater freezes at a higher temperature than ocean water, plus that part of the planet is windier than it used to be, which also increases the expansion of sea ice. http://earthsky.org/earth/while-arct...-ice-increases

Chucky's other 3 "facts" are equally false, by the way, as Lady Quagga points out.

Thank you, Eric. I do allow for the fact that Crichton might have changed his mind by now, as unlikely as that might be. But impugning the character of scientists as these climate change conspiracy theories do, I find despicable.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 09-06-2017 at 07:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    Arctic sea ice is increasing? LOL Chucky must be looking at the world upside down. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_sea_ice_decline

Antarctic sea ice is increasing, but according to researchers, at 1/3 the rate that arctic ice is decreasing. Furthermore, this is only temporary before Antarctic sea ice is expected to decrease. In fact, Antarctic land ice has been decreasing, which contributes to sea level rise, and the reason that the sea ice has been increasing is because the melting freshwater freezes at a higher temperature than ocean water, plus that part of the planet is windier than it used to be, which also increases the expansion of sea ice. http://earthsky.org/earth/while-arct...-ice-increases

Chucky's other 3 "facts" are equally false, by the way, as Lady Quagga points out.

Thank you, Eric. I do allow for the fact that Crichton might have changed his mind by now, as unlikely as that might be. But impugning the character of scientists as these climate change conspiracy theories do, I find despicable.
    The earth at one time was Ice. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. I'm gonna go get an electric car now. So I can help with this disaster. I'm so worried about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Quagga View Post
    Based on whose research? Michael Crichton's?
    Exxon's?

Fact: Exxon has funded decades of now-public-record climate change denial studies. Same with the Koch brothers. (I guess the fact that they're in the oil business is just coincidental.)

I do find it funny that the companies pushing the "climate change hoax" shtick all make their profits by doing damage to the environment. Another funny coincidence I guess.

And on a side note...what's up with the mouth breathers who will fight scientists tooth and nail on this climate change thing?

I’m still curious on why people hate anything “climate change” related as if it personally impacts them. I could understand if you’re in the oil and coal business, but if not, how are you personally affected? Can someone explain the disdain so many on the right have for it?

I look at this way. if the scientists are right, wouldn’t you want something to be done as soon as possible? And hey, If the scientists, who are smarter than both you and I are wrong, then what? At worse we would have moved from ancient energy sources, and in the interim, we might actually encourage jobs in new technology for the first time since the space race. Sure some people will lose their already dying coal jobs (despite what Trump says, those jobs are never coming back) and oil jobs (sorry those new pipe jobs are temp jobs, because once its built, you only have 10 or so jobs for maintenance of the line) and I’m not a mathemagician, but the number loss versus the number gained seems like no contest.

And imagine the US being once again a world leader in the manufacturing area again for the first time in decades. I just do not see a real down side of taking climate change talk seriously and making moves now in regards to it.

But whatever, I have no kids nor do I plan on having any, so the long term consequences mean very little to me. But I do find it weird that for a party that constantly pushes the “think of the children!” mentality, they do a complete 180º and move to “whatever, the children can deal with it if turns out those scientists are right” mentality when it comes to this particular issue.

And of course, we’re also treated to the “climate change does not impact me personally but by God I am going to take it as a personal attack and start hurling personal insults at random people on the internet" crowd. So I guess we have that going for us.

In my opening on this thread, I said "for once I can't say anything bad about Trump on this matter!!" My instincts were proven correct. Trump just cut a deal with the Democrats on Hurricane relief and the debt ceiling. (Much to the se-grin of the Republican leaders)

BREAKING NEWS BREAKING NEWS BREAKING NEWS BREAKING NEWS

Some Evangelical leaders have said, "Hurricane Harvey is God's punishment for Houston electing a Gay Mayor." To further show how many Republicans are so out of touch with reality. Ann Coulter seemingly one of the biggest celebrity spoke person of Conservative beliefs. (who is a climate denier) Said, I doubt God had much influence on Hurricane Harvey decimating the city of Houston. However, she thought that was a more likelier scenario then anything Climate Change did to the ferocity of Hurricane Harvey!!!

Anybody that equates immediately following any singular weather event that event to global warming simply has no credibility. The same scientific proof that many use to make proof of their belief in global warming cannot be used to justify their statements of support for global warming having caused or influenced any current event. There cannot be any credible studies in a 2 week period and any "fool" knows that weather extremes can occur at any time. Because an event has not occurred in 100's of years does not mean it is anything more than an anomaly. Weather records and extreme events occur all the time and have occurred since this earth was created so an extreme event in of itself is proof of absolutely nothing. Change is the only constant when discussing climate or the weather and although it is certainly plausible that human interaction could be causing some impact it is also absolutely plausible that we are in a natural cycle.

I like to equate those that believe that current weather stuff is most likely influenced by human climate change to those religious individuals that believe the end is near because of global events. Seems both are equally plausible.
    Last edited by seal; 09-07-2017 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Anybody that equates immediately following any singular weather event that event to global warming simply has no credibility. The same scientific proof that many use to make proof of their belief in global warming cannot be used to justify their statements of support for global warming having caused or influenced any current event. Their cannot be any credible studies in a 2 week period and any "fool" knows that weather extremes can occur at any time. Because an event has not occurred in 100's of years does not mean it is anything more than an anomaly. Weather records and extreme events occur all the time and have occurred since this earth was created so an extreme event in of itself is proof of absolutely nothing. Change is the only constant when discussing climate or the weather and although it is certainly plausible that human interaction could be causing some impact it is also absolutely plausible that we are in a natural cycle.

I like to equate those that believe that current weather stuff is most likely influenced by human climate change to those religious individuals that believe the end is near because of global events. Seems both are equally plausible.
    No way we are in a "NATURAL CYCLE!!!!" I'll put up in my defense, "The Thousands of Doctorate Degrees and Noble Peace Prizes winning scientist as my expert witness's!!!! What do you got Seal????????????????

You are programmed comrade Etucker. I am not discussing at this time the OVERALL climate, this post was made discussing a singular event being caused or influenced by so called climate change. The natural cycle reference was made to explain this singular event. Is it possible that some weather events are part of the natural cycle or are we at the point that every weather impact is absolutely caused or influenced by man? At this point every time an extreme weather event occurs there are those that post that most likely they are caused by mans influence. So at this point if I follow this logic then man is now more of a cause of weather outcome than naturally occurring cycles. Sorry homie don't buy it!

Anybody that equates immediately following any singular weather event that event to global warming simply has no credibility. The same scientific proof that many use to make proof of their belief in global warming cannot be used to justify their statements of support for global warming having caused or influenced any current event. There cannot be any credible studies in a 2 week period and any "fool" knows that weather extremes can occur at any time. Because an event has not occurred in 100's of years does not mean it is anything more than an anomaly. Weather records and extreme events occur all the time and have occurred since this earth was created so an extreme event in of itself is proof of absolutely nothing.
    You are correct, Seal. No singular event can be attributed to climate change. (Alas, this thread quickly turned from a political diatribe into a debate on global warming.) However, the argument being made is not about the occurrence of such storms, but their severity.

Change is the only constant when discussing climate or the weather and although it is certainly plausible that human interaction could be causing some impact it is also absolutely plausible that we are in a natural cycle.

Even with the various links and sources provided on this thread, people here still continue to confuse weather and climate. Whatever their motivations, they're simply unwilling to accept the role of humans in global warming.

And yes, this goes well beyond any "natural cycle". The leading cause of global warming is CO2 emissions. Scientists have been able to differentiate between natural and man-made CO2 emissions, and there is a direct correlation between man-made emissions and global warming. Furthermore, the increased melting of the Arctic permafrost can be attributed to global warming, which means man-made events could end up being responsible for the "natural" release of even more CO2 (as well as methane).

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast