Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why Not Introduce a Real Striper,Tilipia and Carp Predator

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    I love how this comment was completely overlooked.

Because yes, I'm gonna move to Alabama because I love to fish.

GTFOH!

I have other 'life variables' outside of my hobbies that I look to before I decide where to move.

Don't worry shadow, based on the number of posts you have, you can spend 12 hours a day posting on in the General Discussion section from anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by bassnet View Post
    The recent bluefin tuna stocking by the DFG has worked out well... right? When are they coming to DV? It's a complicated game. I don't fish Castaic often, but stoked to see the smallies in there- kwin, put 'em in Silverwood already! those Flats at DVL are a little spooky if you have fins and swim underwater.... maybe they ate the bronzebacks in DVL? cousin of the bull shark :) house prices are reasonable in Hemet, too, if you don't mind a little meth and stuff, not a big deal I hear
    Kwin has more important fish to plant at Silverwood prior to any smallmouth, SHAD!!!!! We want shad back in that lake! Like he's never heard that request before.

Quote Originally Posted by Libslapper View Post
    Don't worry shadow, based on the number of posts you have, you can spend 12 hours a day posting on in the General Discussion section from anywhere.
    Unlike others, who post from the school they work at. Or Starbucks. Or McDonalds.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Kwin has more important fish to plant at Silverwood prior to any smallmouth, SHAD!!!!! We want shad back in that lake! Like he's never heard that request before.
    I thought the shad populations at Silverwood were pretty good. I dont fish there often. What happened?

There are both Threadfin and American Shad in Silverwood in addition to silverside, prickly sculpin, bigscale logperch, shimofuri goby, freshwater shrimp, tule perch, wakasagi and crayfish. No need to plant any forage there.

The SMB in Castaic came from water transfer between Pyramid and Castaic and have taken advantage of the extreme water fluctuations and abundant goby population in Castaic over the last 5 years. Anything upstream eventually ends up downstream.

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    There are both Threadfin and American Shad in Silverwood in addition to silverside, prickly sculpin, bigscale logperch, shimofuri goby, freshwater shrimp, tule perch, wakasagi and crayfish. No need to plant any forage there.

The SMB in Castaic came from water transfer between Pyramid and Castaic and have taken advantage of the extreme water fluctuations and abundant goby population in Castaic over the last 5 years. Anything upstream eventually ends up downstream.
    That's a copout.

For the last ten years (since I've been counting) the resident gypsies have been dumping their bedpans into the lake. The Korean harvesters at Pyramid have been doing the same. Have you gauged their impact on the thermocline and euphoric properties?

It's funny, I hadn't heard about thermoclines since squid class. seems they take it more serious than the DFG......

I think we all know how the smallies got in Castaic. But recreational boats are to blame for quaggas getting transferred? What a joke- Keep up the crappy inspections while you pump the quaggas into the lake, thanks bureaucracy! I did see a few shad (or maybe silversides?) at Silverwood last weekend, just those little groups of them. But they can bounce back in a big way, everything is cyclical. Hoping for another wet winter to contribute to another great couple of years of fishing. I do understand why the water districts want to hold off the inevitable, but they won't be able to keep out the mussels with inspections. Hopefully they'll get into Casitas and Cachuma soon to end the clown show. Miss those lakes a lot.

I think we all know how the smallies got in Castaic. But recreational boats are to blame for quaggas getting transferred? What a joke- Keep up the crappy inspections while you pump the quaggas into the lake, thanks bureaucracy! I did see a few shad (or maybe silversides?) at Silverwood last weekend, just those little groups of them. But they can bounce back in a big way, everything is cyclical. Hoping for another wet winter to contribute to another great couple of years of fishing. I do understand why the water districts want to hold off the inevitable, but they won't be able to keep out the mussels with inspections. Hopefully they'll get into Casitas and Cachuma soon to end the clown show. Miss those lakes a lot.
    I wouldn't necessarily say that I hope that they get into the lakes soon, but you're 100% correct on the ridiculous clown show that is inspections. It's just delaying the inevitable.
    I haven't fished Casitas in years because of the stupid quarantine.
    Last edited by Brent; 09-24-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post

Now Kwin you have to admit the shad population has taken a dramatic hit and a half at Silverwood. I in no way believe they are eliminated that would be impossible they can still come in via the aqueduct but the days of big open water boil fishing at Silverwood have gone by the wayside. Any locals you speak with will I believe have the same opinion (at least everybody I've talked to has). Not picking on you and certainly don't think shad will be stocked it's more of a joke these days than anything. I know you've been harassed about this subject and I am a realist so I'll take brown trout instead of shad, deal?

It's been many years now since an abundant shad spawn has occurred. I believe in the cyclical bait fish deal also and am trying to be patient waiting for the good old days of 3-5 pound schoolies smashing the surface on shad but it's been many years now. Hope all are correct and we have a return of the shad.

Lot's of larval fish seen over by the docks, who knows maybe they are shad. This seems to be a down year for silversides also and I definitely think that is just a down cycle, don't even think the stripers could kill off the millions of silversides.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast