Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Not Introduce a Real Striper,Tilipia and Carp Predator

Default Why Not Introduce a Real Striper,Tilipia and Carp Predator

Why not introduce a true fish that would help clean up and control DVL for at least eight to ten years while providing a great sport fish option, the Tiger Musky . These fish have been introduced into many lakes used primarily for bass and trout fishing thru-out the southwest recently to control and eradicate the Striper and other over breeding fish which take over and push out the bass and trout populations. The Tiger Muskies are sterile, live only eight to ten years and been proven to feed on rough fish while leaving the bass and trout populations alone as compared to say the Striped Bass a true destructive non- native fish that destroys LMB populations wherever they compete for living spaces. They could survive the desert heat of our summers due to the depths of the lake while keeping the lake cleaner and healthier for the MWD. who owns the lake. Economically their introduction would be a nothing short of amazing with the new growth of another major fishing option for people who don't want to compete or can't afford to compete in bass tournament's.

Now I expect to get shot down by all the locals for introducing such a INSANE IDEA. The true insane idea was letting striped bass and other fish gain a foothold in a beautiful Bass and Trout fishery and DESTROY the latter completely. Where have all those beautiful schools of five to ten pound trout gone to???

Thanks

YFP

Quote Originally Posted by Yogis fishing partner View Post
    The Tiger Muskies are sterile, live only eight to ten years and been proven to feed on rough fish while leaving the bass and trout populations alone

(It's a tiger, not a pike -- you can see the stripes)

while leaving the bass and trout populations alone

Also, there's this:

http://magazine.fishsens.com/tiger-m...and-salmon.htm

The results of the study indicate that the muskies were eating more stocked salmonids than white suckers in every reservoir.

Striped Bass a true destructive non-native fish
    As opposed to the native fish?

Anyways, Stripers already have a fearsome predator, Asians (lol).

I fear the flathead catfish more, and I don't think tiger muskies would eat very many 20-lb FCFs.

...been proven to feed on rough fish while leaving the bass and trout populations alone

Everything I've read about Tiger Muskies says they're super aggressive and will eat anything that swims. I'd very much like to see where it has been proven they will leave the bass and trout alone.

We've got decades of experience that shows these sorts of schemes never work in the long run and usually make things worse. Unless you can show where this idea has actually produced a long term favorable result, you're just another guy paving the road to hell with his good intentions.

How about we just keep the stripers out?

And since we're going down the road of stocking non-native fish, I say we stock these guys:

Why not introduce a true fish that would help clean up and control DVL for at least eight to ten years while providing a great sport fish option, the Tiger Musky . These fish have been introduced into many lakes used primarily for bass and trout fishing thru-out the southwest recently to control and eradicate the Striper and other over breeding fish which take over and push out the bass and trout populations. The Tiger Muskies are sterile, live only eight to ten years and been proven to feed on rough fish while leaving the bass and trout populations alone as compared to say the Striped Bass a true destructive non- native fish that destroys LMB populations wherever they compete for living spaces. They could survive the desert heat of our summers due to the depths of the lake while keeping the lake cleaner and healthier for the MWD. who owns the lake. Economically their introduction would be a nothing short of amazing with the new growth of another major fishing option for people who don't want to compete or can't afford to compete in bass tournament's.

Now I expect to get shot down by all the locals for introducing such a INSANE IDEA. The true insane idea was letting striped bass and other fish gain a foothold in a beautiful Bass and Trout fishery and DESTROY the latter completely. Where have all those beautiful schools of five to ten pound trout gone to???

Thanks

YFP
    Any reservoir connected to the state water project is going to have striper. Period. They have the capacity to reproduce in Silverwood, and DVL. Stripers were not "allowed" to establish, it was inevitable.
    When was the last time you heard striper fishing was off the hook at DVL? Several Years? The population is not near what it once was.

I don't like striper, and yes they impact the fishery. But introducing Tiger Musky thinking they will selectively avoid Bass, Trout and Panfish is foolish. It sounds like you understand fishery management to some degree, so you should understand it is subjective to variable conditions beyond control.

I would be much more concerned with these guys. There are A LOT of them:

The fishery seemed pretty healthy to me this year.

When DVL Was being built we where told is would be all use lake . As it filled we where told something completely different about how it would used and maintained . I have sorta given up on fresh water fishing . With quagga mussel quarantines restrictions type boat engines . It has become apparent that Cal. Is becoming way to restrictive for fishing . I have turned my attention too my local waters five minutes from my door . And the tremendous fishery we have along the coast harbors and bays and the ocean . I know what is in any given lake , in the ocean the thrill sport fishing very alive . As you never ever know what you are going reel up in salt water . I still fish for bass , they just have salt water running through veins

Interesting, read recently on a forum somebody had the idea to introduce tiger musky into Comins lake in Nevada to eradicate the northern pike that somebody keeps bucket stocking in the lake, every time this happens they try to kill off the fish population so they can reintroduce what was once a thriving trophy trout population. Yes tiger musky to control pike, used the same logic that they are sterile fish. I don't know but the common sense behind introducing one apex predator to control another just doesn't seem to register as logical.

Their was once talk of putting Walleye in DVL, but they are on the California "Keep out", "do not stock or else list". Walleye along with Pike and Im sure musky are on the invasive keep out of Cali at all costs list as well. There was a lake up north near DAvis, California that had Pike and the DFG eradicated them. They came back, and they eradicated them again. A lot of time and money to keep the pike out of Cali. I often wonder if the Asian Carp is on the "keep out" list???

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast