Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your thought

Default Your thought

I am retired and older then a lot of you FNN members and enjoy reading your posts. I have a lot of time to think about my past days and for some reason my Vietnam days keep coming back to mind with me. Its been well over 45 years ago and things keep flashing back at times no big deal just stuff. I had a hard time talking about my experience when I came home mostly because people didn't care. I am tired of hiding it and would like to put this license frame on my car. Still feel weird about it after all these years because of the way is was for returning vets back then. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3270001.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	50274
    Last edited by old pudd fisher; 08-30-2017 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by old pudd fisher View Post
    I am retired and older then a lot of you FNN members and enjoy reading your posts. I have a lot of time to think about my past days and for some reason my Vietnam days keep coming back to mind with me. Its been well over 45 years ago and things keep flashing back at times no big deal just stuff. I had a hard time talking about my experience when I came home mostly because people didn't care. I am tired of hiding it and would like to put this license frame on my car. Still feel weird about it after all these years because of the way is was for returning vets back then. Click image for larger version. 

Don't be!!!! Be very proud you served when so many others found ways "NOT TO SERVE!!" My boss who I like very much even though he is a Conservative. lol Served a full tour of duty in Vietnam and when he got back home, threw away his uniform and spoke to know one about his experience over seas!!! Fortunately times have changed!! My father who is 91 served in Italy at the closing end of WWII. He proudly wears a hat in public about being in the 5th army stationed in Italy. A week doesn't go by that a perfect stranger wants to talk to him and congratulate my father for serving in the military!!! TIMES REALLY HAVE CHANGED FOR THE BETTER FOR VETERANS!!!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 08-30-2017 at 11:14 PM.

You earned it, do it

Quote Originally Posted by old pudd fisher View Post

4th Inf, 124th Sig Batt Civil Affairs Team here. Two tours....all serving in remote village with 12 other GI's in the Central Highlands. Each of use who served brought back different memories and feelings. It's been 50 years since I served with my buddies and the villagers and I wished I had gone back to visit. Sport the license plate with pride. You earned the right. Welcome home and thank you for your service!

You absolutely should display your frame. I know folks who have decals of the CIB, Ranger tab and Vietnam Service Ribbon on their rear windows and think it's something they should always be proud, never ashamed, of.

Sure, go ahead. My dad was in the army after WWII. He went to Japan in the post WWII days, and found it immensely sad, to be honest. He told me while I was growing up that he was the original "I hate the army guy." He went college on the GI bill after being in the army, and became a doctor, and eventually a top employee for Medi-Cal, as well as being a very kind, caring and gentle person. He eventually wrote a lot of poetry about the post WWII scene that was published and well reviewed, and it was very sad stuff. But I feel empathy for all that people in the military for the U.S. have gone through as well, such as those who were made to go to Vietnam. My parents wrote letters to government against the Vietnam War and didn't want any of their kids to have to go there. Fortunately, I was too young for that.

That may not be exactly what you want to hear, but that is my frame of reference.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 08-31-2017 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks for the kind words all. Its going on the car. I am not a hero but had a combat mos and was with the 1st cav air moble and spent about 75% of my time in the field, never stayed in one area to long. I was a draftee but did what I had to do. I must say that in year of duty I had some of the best and worst times in my live. That year was packed with some unforgettable situations.

I forgot to mention that my best friend's dad at the time was a lieutenant colonel, but he was killed in an ambush in Laos during the Tet offensive. I was at my friend's house when they got the news, so I know the suffering that they went through and sacrifices made.

Thanks lefty I forgot to say most of us were just kids. I was even to young to buy a beer state side. I have held it in to long and that frame is going on my car love it or leave it.

OPF,

You've earned the right to show your bravery and courage on a plate.

Your license plate holder is far different from the douches who rock the 11-99 Foundation plates.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast