Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
I caught these fish trying to catch panfish above the thermocline. I was not trolling and happened upon them by accident. The bite held up for about 2 weeks then it went away when it got real hot.

Give that the water quality and stratification are the best they have been in a long while, it might be worth trying again.
Thanks for all your valuable intel regarding DVL. Really enjoyed those earlier times catching 3-4 lb pink-meated holdover trout and knowing that they're still available has my juices flowing again. Was completely defeated over the last few years thinking the striped bass influence wiped-out any semblance of a potential long lasting holdover trout fishery. After watching the Castaic, Silverwood and Perris holdover trout population lose out to striped bass, I was reserved to accept the same fate at DVL. I actually sold my 14 ft aluminum fishing boat for a 17 ft. Bass Tracker believing fishing for holdover trout at DVL was dead.

With the thermocline between 22-26 ft. in July I suspect as the water cools during fall we could potentially have the same profile set-up around November or sooner.