Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any rainbows or brownies being caught?

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    I caught these fish trying to catch panfish above the thermocline. I was not trolling and happened upon them by accident. The bite held up for about 2 weeks then it went away when it got real hot.

Give that the water quality and stratification are the best they have been in a long while, it might be worth trying again.
    Thanks for all your valuable intel regarding DVL. Really enjoyed those earlier times catching 3-4 lb pink-meated holdover trout and knowing that they're still available has my juices flowing again. Was completely defeated over the last few years thinking the striped bass influence wiped-out any semblance of a potential long lasting holdover trout fishery. After watching the Castaic, Silverwood and Perris holdover trout population lose out to striped bass, I was reserved to accept the same fate at DVL. I actually sold my 14 ft aluminum fishing boat for a 17 ft. Bass Tracker believing fishing for holdover trout at DVL was dead.

With the thermocline between 22-26 ft. in July I suspect as the water cools during fall we could potentially have the same profile set-up around November or sooner.

dead most likely
    An honest response. But why? Low water levels contributing to poor water quality? Predation? I would think Silverwood would be a better choice to try browns at again, please!

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    An honest response. But why? Low water levels contributing to poor water quality? Predation? I would think Silverwood would be a better choice to try browns at again, please!
    Lake profile taken October 2014 is a snapshot of what happened. Warm water has good DO, cold water has none....which is bad for trout This persisted 50/52 weeks a year from 2013 until the lake began to refill a year ago. Not hard to figure out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	50313  

Not hard to figure out.
    Kwin,

If it wasn't 'hard to figure out' that the lake would eventually not be suitable to maintain a population of brown trout (unless DVL created a new ecosystem that nobody had seen before in any fisheries research, which I somehow doubt), then why did the DFG go forth in stocking these browns when "it's not hard to figure out" they wouldn't survive?

Seems like a waste of resources and money, doesn't it?

Lake profile taken October 2014 is a snapshot of what happened. Warm water has good DO, cold water has none....which is bad for trout This persisted 50/52 weeks a year from 2013 until the lake began to refill a year ago. Not hard to figure out.
    Well I would think that DVL is always going to have some low water level years being at the bottom of the chain but on the other hand Silverwood usually maintains a good water level in a higher elevation lake, most draw downs are when aqueduct work is being done during the fall to spring when water temps are cooler and water quality impacts I would think minimized. Sure would like to see those trophy browns return to the Wood, a guy can dream right?

Very cool. Too bad info like that isn't public.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0410.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	50315
    Hey I disagree
    Last edited by Ssortasober; 09-12-2017 at 08:30 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12