Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Clear Lake 8/19- 8/20

Default Clear Lake 8/19- 8/20

I took the wife and kid up to Clear Lake simply because we spent the day prior in San Francisco. I made reservations at the Indian Beach resort in Clearlake Oaks for Friday and Saturday. I've never fished here, but I've read great posts about the lake and I wanted to give it a try.
    Loaded for bear, I still reduced my tackle as best as I could, only brought 6 rods and assorted bass and crappie boxes, got there at 3 pm only to hear the news. Algae bloom and you should have been here earlier.
    8 hour drive and my card had already been charged, I still unloaded the truck and fished the dock there that evening until 12:30 am.
    Senkos,stinger tail and maribou crappie jigs, I even threw a spinner bait and rarely do that. Night crawlers and mackerel, if you read this board there's always a plan B and C, I was on plan J and H.
    Blanked both days.
    Dead fish and green water everywhere. On the lighter side of things, Ken the resort host was great but brutally honest. Rooms were fine and the dock was very fishy, just the wrong time. This year has been absolutely the worst as far as my schedule and fishing results. I haven't lost any skills and my accuracy in casting is on par as it was in my 20's. I'll hit this place again, I can't believe guys on this board drive this far on a day trip. I'll need 3-4 next time on the right time of year. Huge lake with a great reputation. I'm not writing it off
    Steve
    Last edited by Ssortasober; 08-22-2017 at 07:09 AM.

OH my gawd.. That was tough to read. I drive up there all the way from San Diego when I lived there and now Brea, by Anaheim. The dead fish epidemic was all over the news with photos of the shoreline loaded with dead fish. Sucks that you didn't catch that. At least you met Ken. When you go back next Apr or May or June in 2018 it should be alot different. Sorry to hear that bro. Your fortune at THAT LAKE will change.