Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Float Tubes Rule at Dana Point

Default Float Tubes Rule at Dana Point

Bassin' Rich and I went down to Dana Point and it was float tubers everywhere!

We kicked out to the end of the jetty hoping to pick up some bonito or calico action but it just wasn't happening. The same spot where we slayed em last time was a ghost town. We didn't even get bit! So we headed back into the harbor and I have to admit, it was slow going. Even the bait barge, which is usually mackerel city was slow... and crowded. Tubers and 'yakers all over it.

I did manage one nice spottie that was definitely legal size, but the wide angle lens makes it seem smaller.

We ran into a group of tubers out by the end of the jetty and saw another group at the bait barge and a couple of more guys near the beach when heading back, so it was definitely a day for float tubers at Dana Point. One of the guys said he had seem me on YouTube, so that was cool. It's the first time I've been "recognized."

We didn't exactly slay 'em this time, but that's fishing and tomorrow is another day. My dad used to say that if the fish didn't win sometimes, it wouldn't be a sport.

Bob do you think blowing up every fishing hole on coast has some thing to do with . All your company at your once quite spots is now a fwy of of plastic Navy and fellow donut kickers .

So you think I'm blowing up secret spots like Dana Point? LOL! What a silly thing to say. "Every fishing hole on the coast" has been fished heavily since forever. I'm not uncovering secret locations, I'm sharing my experiences at well known locations. Anyone with a map knows all about every place I go to. I have no effect on how many people are out there or on how many places there are to fish. The numbers are what they are and my videos don't change *anything.* My little 100 subscriber YouTube channel just quietly chugs along. To think I'm having *any* sort of effect on the SoCal fishing scene is just plain nonsense.

And even if I am, so what? Any time anyone posts "I caught a fish" on the internet, they are inspiring people to go out and try to catch their own fish. That's just human nature. If you would rather all those people stay home and not go fishing, then don't post catch reports. But I like talking about my experiences and hearing about other people and I've learned things from forums like these and so I pay it back and forward and every which way I can.

I've had people try to throw this flavor of shade on me before and I think it's stupid. This is a fishing forum and I'm documenting my fishing adventures and sharing them with others. If that's a problem for you for any reason, I simply don't care. Pull up your panties and get over it. Your comment is small minded and gets no respect from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fourtogo View Post
    Bob do you think blowing up every fishing hole on coast has some thing to do with . All your company at your once quite spots is now a fwy of of plastic Navy and fellow donut kickers .
    For some people, it's not about catching the absolute most number of fish possible for themselves, it's about helping others. Bob seems like he's in the latter category.

I don't float tube, nor fish the salt very much, but I find his videos very entertaining. Keep them coming!

Bob as you say I really don't care about what you do , but do care about the people I fish with . if you like refer to your **** catchers as panties that your trip . People that fish do for the fun , inspiration has nothing to do with it . Ether like fish to you don't . Good luck Hollywood

Hey Bob,thanks for the video,enjoyed as always,I always hear the same thing about "secret spots" it's pretty funny,I've been hearing it for over 40yrs+.
    Really there are no secret spots per say in California in my opinion,there's just some spots that are more pressured than others. I agree with your comments and shinbob,not so much with the other,keep it up Bro!

Cya Tuna Vic

7. Default

Cool video Bob.

The age-old debate about blowing up spots with YouTube and fishing reports is a little tiring. Certain areas definitely need a more cautious approach than wide-spread publicity (i.e. tiny ponds and streams). The local bays and harbors are so well know at this point that I don't you you are doing any harm showing a trip off there. Dana, Newport, Long Beach etc---not exactly hidden secret spots!

Some of the smaller coves in Palos and further up may need more restraint :)

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    Cool video Bob.

The age-old debate about blowing up spots with YouTube and fishing reports is a little tiring. Certain areas definitely need a more cautious approach than wide-spread publicity (i.e. tiny ponds and streams). The local bays and harbors are so well know at this point that I don't you you are doing any harm showing a trip off there. Dana, Newport, Long Beach etc---not exactly hidden secret spots!

Some of the smaller coves in Palos and further up may need more restraint :)
    Well said!!! Caution should be used in reporting in small fragile body's of water. But in big places like harbors, or Big lakes like Castaic or Pyramid (a certain somebody on here wrote dozens of reports on those 2 lakes and I didn't hear anyone criticize him for that) or the Pacific Ocean. You're just denying someone the opportunity to share their experience and help other's be a better fishermen. (Besides who doesn't want to hear or see a good fish story!!!) lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 08-25-2017 at 05:09 PM.