Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Need tips for float tubing

Default Need tips for float tubing

I am a 15 year old kid and i recently got a float tube and have used it a couple of times. I have never caught anything on it. Im going to big bear this weekend to fish for trout and im going to use my float tube. I need some tips for fishing while on a float tube. Anything helps

Hello JP. Welcome to the forum! I haven't tubed in awhile since I kayak fish now, but I do have some
    tips.

First pay attention to wind direction. Trying to kick home against a stiff wind is absolutely no fun (you're young, so you may not care). If you're going to tube bays and harbors, you have to pay attention to both the winds and the tides.

If you're coming from shore pounding, you will need heavier sinkers to reach fish on the bottom since you'll be fishing deeper water at times.

Wear a PFD. Lots of tubers have had leaks or punctures from submerged branches, hooks and dorsal fins.

Smaller punctures can be repaired with Aquaseal.

You'll need waders when it gets cold.

You can also get tips from float tube forum. (http://floattubeforum.do-talk.com/f60-ca-float-tubers)

You're gonna have a blast.
    Last edited by GhettoBasster; 08-18-2017 at 02:02 PM.

3. Default

Figure out how you are going to survive if you flip the tube over and you are upside down.

Default Float tube fishing tips.

Quote Originally Posted by jpainter View Post
    I am a 15 year old kid and i recently got a float tube and have used it a couple of times. I have never caught anything on it. Im going to big bear this weekend to fish for trout and im going to use my float tube. I need some tips for fishing while on a float tube. Anything helps
    I primarily float tube fish and there's another forum called Float Tube Fishing Forum and it helped me with all the beginner info I needed and is still giving me good advise. We will also get together and fish.

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    Figure out how you are going to survive if you flip the tube over and you are upside down.
    A float tube isn't a whitewater kayak; it's a floating lounge chair. You can't get "upside down" in it. The worst that can happen is you can slip out of it, in which case you tread water and then pull yourself back up into the seat. You also wear a PFD that makes sure you're always face up no matter what. Yes, safety is always first, but this is "upside down" fear mongering is just silly.

As for Big Bear, I second the ideas that you need to make sure you stay warm and dry and watch out for the wind. As for specific fishing techniques, I'm not a trout guy these days so I will leave that to others, but I always believe it can't hurt to check in at the local bait shop and ask for some advice (while making an appropriate purchase). Big Bear Sporting Goods seems to be the place.

Quote Originally Posted by jpainter View Post
    I am a 15 year old kid and i recently got a float tube and have used it a couple of times.... I need some tips for fishing while on a float tube. Anything helps
    At the risk of sounding like my own parents, I'd make sure you have a buddy to float tube with. The buddy system is always a good start.

Now, if you can't, make sure you have the proper safety equipment, and follow lake's regulations on what you must have on your person to be able to float tube legally. I believe most places require you to have a 'flag' of sorts, and the obvious PFD.

Tips? Well, time on the water will allow you to re-learn casting because the angle of release is a bit different. Aside from that, being able to maneuver properly is another item you'll learn by being on the water. This is extremely important in places like Big Bear where the wind may kick up all of the sudden and you'll be at the mercy of it.

Good luck!

Lots of good advice there.

It is gonna be cold very cold

Today the high is 31 Friday 48. Lows in the 20s