Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need tips for float tubing

Default Need tips for float tubing

I am a 15 year old kid and i recently got a float tube and have used it a couple of times. I have never caught anything on it. Im going to big bear this weekend to fish for trout and im going to use my float tube. I need some tips for fishing while on a float tube. Anything helps.

It's still a little warm up there so the trout are suspended at 12-25 '. Most people either troll with leadcore, or drift fish with nightcrawlers and a slip bobber set at the 12-25' depth.
    You have to get out quite a ways to get into deeper water if you go from the south shore, so it's better to launch your float tube from the north shore. Don't forget to get a lake pass for the float tube, $20 a day, or $50 a year. If you get checked by the lake patrol it'll cost you $30 for the day pass.

Quote Originally Posted by 5shot View Post
    It's still a little warm up there so the trout are suspended at 12-25 '. Most people either troll with leadcore, or drift fish with nightcrawlers and a slip bobber set at the 12-25' depth.
    You have to get out quite a ways to get into deeper water if you go from the south shore, so it's better to launch your float tube from the north shore. Don't forget to get a lake pass for the float tube, $20 a day, or $50 a year. If you get checked by the lake patrol it'll cost you $30 for the day pass.
    I really appreciate the helpful tips. My dad says that you like meet up with other fisherman to fish. If that is true. I would really like to fish with you.

I kayak fish mostly around the mouth of Boulder Bay, Papoose Bay, and the island. That's really too far to go out to with a float tube. It's good tubing in the spring because the bass move into the shallow water to spawn, so you can work all the docks in Boulder Bay. But the bay's only 3-6' deep until you get close to the main body of the lake. So summer time is not good for trout.
    Go to the north shore past the dam to the parking area where you see a porta potty. Lots of shore fishing there. Take your tube about 50 yards off shore and you'll be in 40-60' of water. You'll see 12
    Mooring bouys out in the middle that boats will tie up to. It's 68' deep there. Trout will be cruising around 12-25' deep in that area. You don't have to go out that far, just far enough that the shore fisherman won't be casting around you.
    Last edited by 5shot; 08-18-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Use a lifevest

A lot of dangerous people on the weekend

First timers on the boat

Maybe a orange flag

Quote Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
    Use a lifevest

A lot of dangerous people on the weekend

First timers on the boat

Maybe a orange flag
    Very good advice. Out on the yak I always wear a life vest and either red jacket or cap. Some of the boaters and jet skiers don't pay much attention to the 5mph zones most fishermen are in.

I will also chime in about life vests at BBL, having tubed on busy weekends and normally in the 5mph zone, even in that area they come blasting in and don't throttle down till well into the zone. It can be chaotic, best to tube early or late, oh and that's normally of course when the best bite occurs. If fly fishing can't go wrong with a black woolly bugger with a red head.

I guess I should be the first to add....

A buddy system is probably a good idea, since I've never gone float tubing by myself unless it was a tiny lake without any boaters.

And it's not because I have no trust in myself, it's just that there a bunch of novice boaters in our lakes it seems these days.

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread

Ha here’s one I just thought of,as I remember one of the negatives about tubing for me was when I had to take a leak! It’s kinda tuff when you have waders on and your within eye shot of shore dwellers,I used to have to look for a secluded spot,kick over to that spot while looking around,drop my waders to a proper degree and take a leak,heaven forbid anyone sees you! Sooo make sure you don’t drink a lot of liquids prior to kicking off,it’s great when the water is warm enough so you can tube in shorts/trunks. Just saying.Always wondered how others dealt with this issue.

Cya Tuna Vic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast