Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
It's a hydrogen fuel cell car, Eric. Apparently, it is easier and quicker to "refuel" hydrogen cell cars than to charge electric cars. California government is planning to have a large series of hydrogen cell stations across California.

Basically, water is separated into hydrogen gas and oxygen. The fuel cell contains the hydrogen gas (totally harmless). When the car is being driven, hydrogen reunites with oxygen in the atmosphere and makes water (also harmless) and in the process, releases energy which is used to drive the car.

Solar energy or other clean sources can be used to create the hydrogen gas from water, for the fuel cells, so potentially, a person or family with solar panels could just fill their hydrogen fuel cells at home using their own home energy supply. I am hopeful that this is the way of the future (which Mirai means in Japanese), or else it could be electric cars recharged by solar, wind, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Mirai
I'm familiar with the technology of hydrogen fuel cell cars, I didn't know the name of the Toyota version. It's funny about the hydrogen fuel cell cars. I first heard about them 15 years ago and they thought that might be the long term solution/alternative to the gasoline powered automobiles. They thought back then the technology was 30 plus years away. They cut that number in half!! It's amazing what Mankind can do if faced with a real need. (A non polluting vehicle is just what the planet needs!!!)