Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Why am I not surprised

Default Why am I not surprised

Took my youngest up to the dam tonight to find it turned into club cedar springs.Screaming drunk kids everywhere.
    Feeling kind of uneasy about the situation we left gear in my truck and walked down to take a look at water condition.
    To my surprise there was a sign posted up stating that as of Jan 2018 dam will be closed to public access to maintain safety and integrity of the dam.
    Has anyone heard anything about this?

Yes it will be fenced off. The problems with the dam and spillway up north that occurred last winter have the powers that be concerned about the integrity of the dam. All those hooligans that are hanging out getting drunk and stupid have been moving rocks around to create little forts or just moving them around because they are idiots, has created the end for "legal" dam access. I still am seriously concerned that they will fence off the lake completely to off hours access. It would be very easy to make the case for it considering the lack of common sense that is being displayed these days at the lake. The overcrowding on the weekends from those walking in from the road creating a potential problem with emergency evacuation of the park (see fire that broke out this summer for an example) has me thinking they will do something. Stay tuned the powers that be these days are not afraid to change stuff around and I'm afraid the future will not be good for us that have taken good care of the lake for many years, times they are a changing and are not necessarily going to be for our good.

Sign of the times.

It sucks when the few mess it up for the many.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by sealclubber View Post
    Took my youngest up to the dam tonight to find it turned into club cedar springs.Screaming drunk kids everywhere.
    Feeling kind of uneasy about the situation we left gear in my truck and walked down to take a look at water condition.
    To my surprise there was a sign posted up stating that as of Jan 2018 dam will be closed to public access to maintain safety and integrity of the dam.
    Has anyone heard anything about this?
    Don't take away my night fishing....!!!
    Silverwood is one of the few good ones left

Our neighbor works up there and she pretty much confirms what your saying seal.
    The way she described was that you still might be able to fish the far side of the dam,but they were definitely going to fence off the area closest to the parking lot and restroom....she was telling us half the workforce nowadays and they can't keep up with the b.s.
    I have called the fire Dept several times on the bastards with fires going up there.this last weekend was windy and these jerks have fires going!
    Really with all the fire last year and now the country store burning down I don't feel guilty anymore.
    Guess I'll have to start fishing your side of the lake Seal.

My side use to include the dam on a regular basis and especially the backside but I just don't like the element that have invaded that part of the lake at night. It's just not worth it. Besides my favorite part of fishing the dam was when the shad were thick and the stripers would push the schools back and forth by the dam.

A lot has changed over the last few years.

That's the only spot I have gone after hours where else on the lake Is good at night?

Think some are pretty pissed off about this closure. The lookout going up to the main entrance has been tagged and it does not appear to be the usual BS tagging crap. I'd share a picture but it is not G or even PG rated.

I will share and alter it a bit though, it is written in huge purple writing on the brick wall and goes something like "NEVER OBEY 'POOP' 'COPULATE' THE LAW". The rangers were not very happy about it and sure would like to find the culprit, think the timing of the tag and subject matter probably indicates one of the damn fishermen, oops dam fishermen might have been responsible.
    '

Quote Originally Posted by chucx626 View Post
    That's the only spot I have gone after hours where else on the lake Is good at night?
    There are numerous excellent spots to fish nights other than the dam but hikes in from the road are required and of course just like the dam you have to be concerned about leaving your vehicles. It's not the old Silverwood anymore, sucks but adapt and conquer.

Ya I saw that graffiti also.
    Exactly why they're doing what they're doing.
    I've been scoping out other areas,being a creature of habit I'm not happy about it.but oh well...maybe now I'll land a double digit striper!