Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Epic Road Trip, July 2017 photos

If we go to Florida, I plan to take an airplane and rent a car. We will definitely go fishing but I don't know where or for what. The fishing that you described sounds excellent, Eric. We might go freshwater too. We don't really have heavy equipment for larger saltwater fish, especially that we could put on an airplane. By the way, "Sea Trout" are really a type of croaker. They are nothing like real trout and the water is much too warm for trout in Florida.

Zunliang also has mentioned wanting to go fishing in Alaska, and I sure hope that we will. Another, closer to home idea that I have is going on a field trip fishing places that have or might have Sacramento Perch, a primitive sunfish which is a very unique and tasty California native of the central valley whose status is rather insecure, except for having fortunately been put in certain high elevation waters such as Crowley. And that would entail lots of trout fishing too. (The Sacramento Perch fairies apparently have been busy stocking them in other waters, or they have made their way on their own, plus some places were stocked with them by fisheries biologists long ago, so they may be present in more waters than the large majority of us realize.) And of course, we would like to do more Golden Trout fishing, another unique California native that Zunliang mentions. (I took her to a nice, easily accessed place that has lots of them a few years ago and we caught some, which remembers vividly.)
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 09-30-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    If we go to Florida, I plan to take an airplane and rent a car. We will definitely go fishing but I don't know where or for what. The fishing that you described sounds excellent, Eric. We might go freshwater too. We don't really have heavy equipment for larger saltwater fish, especially that we could put on an airplane. By the way, "Sea Trout" are really a type of croaker. They are nothing like real trout and the water is much too warm for trout in Florida.

Zunliang also has mentioned wanting to go fishing in Alaska, and I sure hope that we will. Another, closer to home idea that I have is going on a field trip fishing places that have or might have Sacramento Perch, a primitive sunfish which is a very unique and tasty California native of the central valley whose status is rather insecure, except for having fortunately been put in certain high elevation waters such as Crowley. And that would entail lots of trout fishing too. (The Sacramento Perch fairies apparently have been busy stocking them in other waters, or they have made their way on their own, plus some places were stocked with them by fisheries biologists long ago, so they may be present in more waters than the large majority of us realize.) And of course, we would like to do more Golden Trout fishing, another unique California native that Zunliang mentions. (I took her to a nice, easily accessed place that has lots of them a few years ago and we caught some, which remembers vividly.)
    My bucket list for fishing has gotten pretty small now a day's. For catching an eating a little closer to home you have Salmon fishing in either Monterrey CA or San Francisco which still can be excellent. (San Francisco had a banner year this past season) The Steelhead fishing in Southern Oregon on the Chetco river is very teacher friendly. The Christmas Holiday was always a good time to give them a go. For C&R only the Mexican Largemouth Bass fishing is out of this World!! My very Good friend at Bob's fishing tackle host several trips a year to Lake Obregon and the numbers and quality can't be beat. That's one that I want to do very soon. I'm biased against Alaska, it not the same as it was 20 years ago. The Salmon fishing is the same but the other species which were my favorite are now so regulated it doesn't seem worth it to me any more to go.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 09-30-2017 at 08:51 PM.

That is quite a trip Lefty, how many days did your trip take and did you camp along the way or stayed in hotels? Also it looks like you kept your fish. Did you eat it along the way or did you pack it home?

Zunliang and I are not picky, Eric. If we can catch fish in Alaska, we should be happy. LOL By the way, the future trips that I listed are more like plans than a bucket list, Eric. LOL

We stayed in relatively inexpensive motels and avoided eating in restaurants very much, although we did go sometimes, Steelhead. We ate what fish we kept (a lot were released too), plus lots of stuff that we brought with us. The trip was from July 10 to July 31, as requested by Zunliang. Her goddaughter came from Taiwan with her two children shortly after we returned and stayed for a couple of weeks here.
    Last edited by Natural Lefty; 09-30-2017 at 10:38 PM.

Now that's a trip! I was thinking it would take a good three weeks to give yourself time to see the country and if you wanted to stop and fish along the way. I'm going to have to plan a cross country myself in the near future. I had actually mapped a route to cross to Florida by way of southwest, texas, LA and into Florida and planned for a good two weeks but it would have been rushed as the plan was to drive 3 days straight back home on the return trip. Good stuff.

Yes, I think you need at least around 3 weeks, Steelhead, plus good planning, and some flexibility for a cross country and back trip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12