Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Float Tube Fishing - Tips and Tricks for Fishing Island Grissom

Default Float Tube Fishing - Tips and Tricks for Fishing Island Grissom

My buddy Bassin' Rich and I got together for some kelp fishing at Island Grissom and had a great time! Bassin' Rich even caught a White Sea Bass, one of the most elusive and sought after fish in the SoCal Saltwater scene.

Island Grissom is just a few yards off the shore but it offers a true "open water" experience without having to actually go out into open water... LOL!

Google Maps calls the parking lot where you set up the "Alamitos Beach Parking Lot" and you get to it from Shoreline Drive. It's a real hike from the car to the water, but it's worth it. Be sure you wear something on your feet.

I do want to point out that Island Grissom is a working oil platform and the service boats zoom in and out of their little dock area all the time, so you need to be careful and get past that spot as carefully and quickly as you can.

As far as the marina goes, I've been told that you're not supposed to fish there, but Rich paddled up to one of the harbor patrol guys at the entrance and he told us to go ahead... so we did!

Here's my Tips and Tricks for Island Grissom - Happy Fishing!

Last edited by Ornery Bob; 08-10-2017 at 08:48 PM.

Great tips there Bob,nice catch Rich,be cool to catch that ones mama,hey Bob was there ample parking there? Where you there during the week,how early?
    300yd hike across the sand hmm,guess you can take a pr of sneakers and the pack them on your tube,do you take lunch or water etc, I used to tube f/w all the time so you'd just kick to shore and have lunch,but I would imagine once you kick way out in the salt you'll usually stay out till your done,ok thanks agin cool vid as always!

Cya Tuna Vic

I've only been there on a Saturday or Sunday and I believe the parking lot technically opens at 5:00am - I'm usually there soon after and I'm usually the only car or maybe one or two others. Tons of space to park.

Coming in, of course, the lot will be full and there will be a constant stream of cars looking for a spot, so expect to be asked if you're leaving. I always say no, I'm just unloading and then going back to my friends on the sand. I hate people hovering over me when I'm just trying to chill a bit before I pack it all up. Parking fees start at 8:00am but the kiosk where you pay is smart and so if you pay at 6:00 am for 4 hrs of parking, it will give you a ticket that says you're paid until noon.

I wear a pair of crocs for hiking across the sane to the water and I use a carabiner to secure them behind the seat when I'm on the water.

I often stop for a donut or a breakfast sandwich on the way to the water, so I usually don't bother with snacks much on the tube. I do take a bottle of water or a sports drink to stay hydrated.

Other than the occasional evening session, I’m always on the water about 5:30 or 6:00 and out by 1:00 pm. Usually the wind comes up in the afternoon, so even if I’m not particularly tired, I most often call it a day once the wind picks up. 6 hrs is about my stamina limit.

Hey Bob,can you ask Rich exactly what tube he has,brand model etc?

Cya Tunavic1

Very cool thanks for that reply.

Cya Tunavic1

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Hey Bob,can you ask Rich exactly what tube he has,brand model etc?

Cya Tunavic1
    Rich is using a Classic Accessories "Cumberland" float tube - A good tube and very popular.