Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Mammoth Area Fishing

Default Mammoth Area Fishing

Hello All,
    I am hoping to take my boys, 6 years and 12 years, up to the Mammoth area to do some fishing. We are shooting for the first week of October. Can you guys recommend a lake? It is our first time up there and will most likely be fishing from shore. Also any tips and helpful comments are truly appreciated! Thank you!

Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by dar30 View Post
    Hello All,
    I am hoping to take my boys, 6 years and 12 years, up to the Mammoth area to do some fishing. We are shooting for the first week of October. Can you guys recommend a lake? It is our first time up there and will most likely be fishing from shore. Also any tips and helpful comments are truly appreciated! Thank you!

Darwin
    Darwin,

You can't go wrong with any of the lakes in the immediate vicinity with the "Mammoth Lakes" chain. George, Mary, Mamie....

I'd also keep a close eye on the DFW planting schedule, https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/ As the week approaches, you can see what's being stocked in the area, and the DFW site does a great job of pinpointing the location of each body of water.

Of course, if you're willing to drive a bit, the choices become even greater.

A small tackle box full of small spinners (Rooster Tails, Panther Martins, Mepps, etc) and spoons (Thomas Bouyant, Kastmaster, Daredevl) is all you need. Add a few crappie jigs, perhaps some bubbles and flies, and you'll be all set. A 6'6" to 7" foot rod with 4# monofilament should be enough to get a few fish to go.

October is going to a great time to visit, especially with the run off finally over, as I hear it's still coming down the mountain as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post

Of course, if you're willing to drive a bit, the choices become even greater.
    It's about a 45 minute drive from Mammoth, but my all-time favorite lake for fishing with the kids (we've tried them all) is Little Virginia. It's a small lake, not overwhelming or intimidating, fantastic scenery, and if you time it right, easy catching for the stockers.

You can rent a rowboat for a few hours, catch a bunch of fish, and let the kids row around the lake a bit when they get restless. Afterwards, get some cheeseburgers or sandwiches from the lodge right there and eat them by the lake.

You can do it in conjunction with a side trip to Bodie or Mono Lake for some interesting sightseeing.

Quote Originally Posted by dar30 View Post
    Hello All,

Darwin
    Convict Lake just south of Mammoth would be good. It has easy access to the lake from the parking on the road above. The Hot Creek Hatchery is nearby just across the highway and worth a visit.

Best lure to throw is a Red & Gold Thomas Bouyant.

Here's a WON article that has fishing techniques for the area. It's probably going to be cold in the morning, so fishing midday should be ok.

https://www.wonews.com/t-FeatureArti...ut_012916.aspx

Have fun !
    Last edited by lucky1; 08-14-2017 at 02:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    ....You can do it in conjunction with a side trip to Bodie or Mono Lake for some interesting sightseeing.
    Side trip to Bodie... you have to do this!

Thank you all for the helpful information!