Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Putting some Fish on the Boat - July 28, 2017

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Putting some Fish on the Boat - July 28, 2017

Long time no report! 3 skunk trips in a row didn't help... After chasing giant bluefin tunas unsuccessfully, I decided to take the crew down south to try for some yellowtail and dorado. We launched from San Diego at 1:30 am and got some sardines from the bait barge. It was not very good - I think they left it in the crowder too long, I basically had a tank full of scales. We tried for mackerel but only caught one and a bunch of croaker.

So we head out into the darkness and arrive some 50 miles south of the border at daybreak. (31.55 / 117.17 to be exact) We set out some troll lures and scanned the water for kelp paddies. They were not easy to find. Overcast with a glare on the water didn't help. After about 2 hours I finally found a small paddy and it was game on from there. The yellowtail started out small and then just kept getting bigger and bigger! In the mix were also a few dorado. We ended up with 2 dorado, 5 yellowtail from 20 - 35 pounds and countless smaller ones. It had been a while since I got to pull on some decent fish and was excited to break in some of my new Rainshadow rods from Fishing Syndicate. I haven't given up on the giant bluefins yet, but it was certainly nice to put decent fish on my boat and in the freezer as well

Quote Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
    Long time no report! 3 skunk trips in a row didn't help... After chasing giant bluefin tunas unsuccessfully, I decided to take the crew down south to try for some yellowtail and dorado. We launched from San Diego at 1:30 am and got some sardines from the bait barge. It was not very good - I think they left it in the crowder too long, I basically had a tank full of scales. We tried for mackerel but only caught one and a bunch of croaker.

So we head out into the darkness and arrive some 50 miles south of the border at daybreak. (31.55 / 117.17 to be exact) We set out some troll lures and scanned the water for kelp paddies. They were not easy to find. Overcast with a glare on the water didn't help. After about 2 hours I finally found a small paddy and it was game on from there. The yellowtail started out small and then just kept getting bigger and bigger! In the mix were also a few dorado. We ended up with 2 dorado, 5 yellowtail from 20 - 35 pounds and countless smaller ones. It had been a while since I got to pull on some decent fish and was excited to break in some of my new Rainshadow rods from Fishing Syndicate. I haven't given up on the giant bluefins yet, but it was certainly nice to put decent fish on my boat and in the freezer as well

Good stuff jeff! Frank looks like a happy man!

Hopefully we get a shot this year at the big blues.

Thumbs up

The text of your video brought a smile to my face today Jeff. 😊 Been way too long since we fished together bro... I'm in town this weekend.

It was good to be out on the water again Jeff
    Frank definitely had the Hot Stick with those slug yellowtails, biggest was 34.5 #'s.

You are definitely right about the Big BFT not being caught, "YET"
    Have a Great Week Bro,

Thanks

Robert
    <><

Glad you found the right patty,only takes one to make your day,wtg!

Cya Tuna Vic

sooooooooooooooo JELLY , cant wait to get out there i need some ceviche in my life , great job guys sweeet video