Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy Days at Lake Henshaw

Gotta love henshaw. I went there ALLLLLL the time when I lived in San Diego. Among other lakes, but this was my favorite destination. Go there once or twice a year now. Last time I went (this year) I only caught a couple of bass while fishing for crappie. You had an excellent day of fishing there. I'm jealous.

Isnt that lake half the size it used to be due to the drought?

wow.. I caught my very 1 st fish at this lake when I was about 6. I'm 59 now... the lake has had its share of problems.. water levels etc... I used to watch really BIG Channel Catfish caught out of there.. of course that was many, many years ago.. my biggest was about 17 lbs.. everybody used to fish just outside the reeds south of the boat dock and catch big ones... my father used to love Bullheads and we caught many from there... I was LOL about the Crappie, in the afternoon the breeze would come up,l we would go to the far side of the lake.. 9 away from the boat dock ) and just drift with Crappie Jigs and caught many there... my biggest was close to 3 lbs.. a massive Crappie.. they used to have a fish display up in the front office with fish in it.. I haven't been to this lake in over 20 years... can you launch your own boat there ?? I remember when the water was up high enough to make a island across the lake... loved the place, and we use to use the campground there when I went with my father and his friend... glad to hear its still there, but I had read it has had its troubles ??? mightr be time to go back ????

yup.... I used to do the exact thing... used to use red worms for the Bullheads and Mackerel or Bonita for the Channels... have caught some bass out of there but mainly fished catfish and crappie back in the day... like I wrote in a earlier post, its been well over 20 years since I have been there... one time coming back from Julian I wanted to go down and look at the lake but it was blocked off so you couldn't just drive down to the lake like the old days....

Quote Originally Posted by guy858 View Post
    wow.. I caught my very 1 st fish at this lake when I was about 6. I'm 59 now... the lake has had its share of problems.. water levels etc... I used to watch really BIG Channel Catfish caught out of there.. of course that was many, many years ago.. my biggest was about 17 lbs.. everybody used to fish just outside the reeds south of the boat dock and catch big ones... my father used to love Bullheads and we caught many from there... I was LOL about the Crappie, in the afternoon the breeze would come up,l we would go to the far side of the lake.. 9 away from the boat dock ) and just drift with Crappie Jigs and caught many there... my biggest was close to 3 lbs.. a massive Crappie.. they used to have a fish display up in the front office with fish in it.. I haven't been to this lake in over 20 years... can you launch your own boat there ?? I remember when the water was up high enough to make a island across the lake... loved the place, and we use to use the campground there when I went with my father and his friend... glad to hear its still there, but I had read it has had its troubles ??? mightr be time to go back ????
    You can still launch your boat there for a small fee. ($10) We are going to go on another trip soon. I'll report if anything interesting happens.
    Last edited by etucker1959; 08-12-2017 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by guy858 View Post
    yup.... I used to do the exact thing... used to use red worms for the Bullheads and Mackerel or Bonita for the Channels... have caught some bass out of there but mainly fished catfish and crappie back in the day... like I wrote in a earlier post, its been well over 20 years since I have been there... one time coming back from Julian I wanted to go down and look at the lake but it was blocked off so you couldn't just drive down to the lake like the old days....
    It's funny they have gate on the road down to the lake. The fishing permit is still affordable. ($7.50 per person)

very cool.... keep us posted... I might have to take a trip there for old times sake !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12