Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Bassin' in Los Angeles Harbor

Default Bassin' in Los Angeles Harbor

I recently went to Los Angeles Harbor for some bass fishing and I had a pretty good day. It was interesting because I saw a lot of fishermen in "real boats" and they were all heading out to open water. I completely understand.

But I have a different way of fishing and the beauty of it is that not only do you catch a lot of fish, it's really cheap and easy and because of that, you can pretty much do it as much as you want. If parking is free, fishing is free.

Getting my boat and all my gear together takes 15 minutes. Two trips to the car from my apartment and I'm on the road. The only prep I do the night before is charge the camera batteries.

I stopped on the way to the marina to "gas up my outboard"… with coffee and a donut.

Once I got to the ramp, I paid $6 for parking. Single length spot.

Then it's on the water and make no mistake about it, tube fishing is bass fishing. It's hunting. Even in saltwater marinas, it's exploring the terrain and looking for structure and cover and trying different places and techniques. Cast and retrieve, trolling, drop-shot, sleeper rod, jigging, you name it, whatever suits your situation, whatever gets the action, you'll do it all from the tube. And you'll be able to sneak into tight spots and be ultra stealthy and quiet. Seeing fish below you cruise by and not be spooked is common.

I ended up catching about 25 fish for the five hour session, which isn't an unusual number. Calicos and Barred Sand Bass mostly and while none were legal keepers, all were fun on light tackle and all give you the drug of the tug. Even the ones you miss get you going. But you don't need me to tell you that catching fish is fun. And catching a fish every few minutes for hours on end is even more fun.

If catching lunkers is your thing, head for open water. But if you’re looking for easy, cheap and seriously fun entertainment, get a tube. Who knows, you just might run into a lunker or two while you’re at it.

But here's the thing that really makes me smile as I'm driving home… I'm tired. I've exerted myself and that means that my boat's motor got serviced. Running my boat's motor makes it wear out slower, not faster! I've literally improved my health by going fishing. Ain't that a kick in the head!

So I think float tubing is cool for a lot of reasons, but mostly because it's fun to catch fish and float tubing puts you on the fish!

You are becoming the expert in local saltwater float tubing!

I would love to see you explore more of the Southern California coast, would be interesting to see how you do (and the best place to put in is) at MDR, Redondo, Channel Islands Harbor, Ventura, etc... This would be quite a valuable resource for us all!

Great perspective in your write up! You are the tube fishing guru! I love the Phrase the 'drug of the tug'. I was thinking the other day about what makes fishing so addictive and I think you nailed a lot of the aspects! Great videos! Keep 'em coming and thanks for taking us fishing with you. -Mark

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    You are becoming the expert in local saltwater float tubing!

I would love to see you explore more of the Southern California coast, would be interesting to see how you do (and the best place to put in is) at MDR, Redondo, Channel Islands Harbor, Ventura, etc... This would be quite a valuable resource for us all!
    I've done one Marina Del Rey video, but I will be going back. Redondo is on the list - I haven't thought about much farther north, but I will definitely think about it now, thanks! I got a request to do a video about launching from SouthShore for Queensway Bay, so I'm planning to do that one on Saturday and one for Island Grissom on Sunday.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Bob,I agree with you whole heartedly,I've tubed a lot in F/W but never in the salt. I'm actually looking for a new tube,your videos have inspired me,and I want to give it a shot,my area will probably be mostly Alamitos Bay,I just sold my skiff and at this point when I want to go further out I'll pay to do it,after 40yrs Plus of boat ownership I'm ready for a break,keep them vids coming!

Cya Tuna Vic

Alamitos Bay is a great place for float tube fishing. You've got tons of structure and also lots of open water - the best of both worlds. I'd be happy to fish there with you any time if you want some company. Let me know when you're ready and I'll PM you my number.

Quote Originally Posted by ichthus View Post
    Great perspective in your write up!
    X2..............looks like fun