Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any evening topwater action yet?

1. Default Any evening topwater action yet?

Getting to be the that time where I get the itch to throw topwaters at the 'wood dawn or dusk. Much action out there yet? Not planning on keeping any.

Some boils spotted early AM but I think consistent topwater is 3 or so weeks from starting.

I haven't seen a boil since Jan!
    Yeah I have the itch too.

Well boils are happening but fish size = dinks. The bait size is still small so still a ways out from the larger fish coming up consistently.

When they start boiling more consistently do they tend to boil on certain moon phases more than others?

Yes and no. Just when you think you know when they will boil they don't. Right now since bait size is so small late afternoon to early evening hours are when you will probably see the boils, now when the water cools and the bait grows larger and the bigger fish start feeding more on top then very early morning and just before dark are the most productive. Very little shad population makes the boils at Silverwood a little different than that of other lakes. I fish Mead often and the boils will last sometimes most of the day, shad can be open water fish so the stripers will chase them around most of the day and the boils are more aggressive than say the silverside type boils that you see more of these days at Silverwood.

Sure wish they would get some shad back in the lake, I know they come in via the aquaduct but for some reason they are having a difficult time re-establishing their population.

Thanks for the info seal. I haven't fished the lake that much in the past year or two. Not like I used to. we caught a lot of fish but never really figured out patterns. Just when you thought you figured them out they would do something different.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Yes and no. Just when you think you know when they will boil they don't.
    Leave it to strippers to be inconsistent and flaky.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Leave it to strippers to be inconsistent and flaky.
    I don't really like boils on my strippers anyway.

Last night first cast on Sammy nice size schoolie thought maybe it was time, only one more burp for the rest of the night, typical stripper tease.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast