Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lake Piru Fishing/Stocking Report

He may have stocked the stream (legally or illegally) though I cannot imagine a legit fish hatchery from any state risking a huge fine for stocking without a permit. While the land around the stream can be owned the stream bed is not. Restrictions apply. Even if he did....

There are no "native" trout to Piru Creek unless they are descendants of Southern Steelhead which they are trying to bring back. So many trout from Piru have swam upstream from Piru Lake and also were stocked by the tens of thousands in Piru Creek for decades at Frenchmans Flat miles ABOVE Piru Lake..So...as I posted earlier because Piru Creek flows into a river (Santa Clara..which also was stocked with trout decades ago) that flows into the Pacific Ocean no trout stocking is allowed in those waters. Throw in a toad and frog..No trout. .But again the main reason is the Southern Steelhead

Some info http://caltrout.org/regions/southern...ation-gallery/

Piru Creek - River
    California
    Piru Creek is a major stream, about 71 miles long, in northern Los Angeles County and eastern Ventura County, California. It is a tributary of the Santa Clara River, the largest stream system in Southern California that is still relatively natural.
    Length: 71 mi
    Mouth: Santa Clara River
    Last edited by ALandsford; 07-30-2017 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ALandsford View Post
    He may have stocked the stream (legally or illegally) though I cannot imagine a legit fish hatchery from any state risking a huge fine for stocking without a permit. While the land around the stream can be owned the stream bed is not. Restrictions apply. Even if he did....

There are no "native" trout to Piru Creek unless they are descendants of Southern Steelhead which they are trying to bring back. So many trout from Piru have swam upstream from Piru Lake and also were stocked by the tens of thousands in Piru Creek for decades at Frenchmans Flat miles ABOVE Piru Lake..So...as I posted earlier because Piru Creek flows into a river (Santa Clara..which also was stocked with trout decades ago) that flows into the Pacific Ocean no trout stocking is allowed in those waters. Throw in a toad and frog..No trout. .But again the main reason is the Southern Steelhead

Some info http://caltrout.org/regions/southern...ation-gallery/

Piru Creek - River
    California
    Piru Creek is a major stream, about 71 miles long, in northern Los Angeles County and eastern Ventura County, California. It is a tributary of the Santa Clara River, the largest stream system in Southern California that is still relatively natural.
    Length: 71 mi
    Mouth: Santa Clara River
    Actually Al many of our creeks still hold a small population of Rainbows that are a descendant of the Steelhead. When Matilija Dam, Piru Dam, Pyramid Dam, Jameson Dam, Gilbraltor Dam were built small populations became landlocked and have pulled off surviving in the few springs and gorges that keep their habitats and genes going. On the illegal stocking subject, it did happen, he transported them himself and just like any industry things can be done off the books. This was all done after the stockings ended in the Bluepoint campground area but were still being stocked in the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by fshnritchey View Post
    It is a feeder to Piru creek.
    Hopefully it was Agua Blanca which is accessible from the road off of Blue Point.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Hopefully it was Agua Blanca which is accessible from the road off of Blue Point.
    It is approximately a 10 mile hike from the lake to Agua Blanca. The road is no longer open. Unfortunately though Agua Blanca dried up for the most part during the last drought period.

It is approximately a 10 mile hike from the lake to Agua Blanca. The road is no longer open. Unfortunately though Agua Blanca dried up for the most part during the last drought period.
    I would think a lot of the tributaries dried up during that drought we had, except for those that have deep summering holes, which are far and between. That is why I thought it interesting that someone chose to stock them and not the main stem, which would give the fish a better chance of survival.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    I would think a lot of the tributaries dried up during that drought we had, except for those that have deep summering holes, which are far and between. That is why I thought it interesting that someone chose to stock them and not the main stem, which would give the fish a better chance of survival.
    Darkshadow, the stocking I am speaking of happened years and years ago. All Salmonids seem to be a species that were built to come back from the brink of extinction. And it is not just deep summering holes but gorges and springs that seem to keep the Southern Steelhead going. Piru creek between Pyramid and Piru is a deep gorge. I have hiked it from Frenchmans Flats to Piru Lake years ago. But the feeder streams seem to be the area that the fish survive the summers in. So a few good years of rain in a row should have the trout starting to bounce back to fishable populations again.

7. Default

Darkshadow, the stocking I am speaking of happened years and years ago. All Salmonids seem to be a species that were built to come back from the brink of extinction. And it is not just deep summering holes but gorges and springs that seem to keep the Southern Steelhead going. Piru creek between Pyramid and Piru is a deep gorge. I have hiked it from Frenchmans Flats to Piru Lake years ago. But the feeder streams seem to be the area that the fish survive the summers in. So a few good years of rain in a row should have the trout starting to bounce back to fishable populations again.
    Now this is an interesting thread! Thank you for the info.

Shame so many of these creeks are low on fish, nice to hear of an area that may not be :)

It's fairly ironic thread of gene mixing would lead to them stopping all stocking in the creek, yet nothing being done about the real obstacles to a return of the southern steelhead in the same creek . . . . needs constant water flow and some dam bustin' to occur. Other than that, most of the steps taken are just stop gap measures at best

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    Now this is an interesting thread! Thank you for the info.

Shame so many of these creeks are low on fish, nice to hear of an area that may not be :)

It's fairly ironic thread of gene mixing would lead to them stopping all stocking in the creek, yet nothing being done about the real obstacles to a return of the southern steelhead in the same creek . . . . needs constant water flow and some dam bustin' to occur. Other than that, most of the steps taken are just stop gap measures at best
    Fish Vs Water Storage and Flood Control

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12