Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Lake Piru Fishing/Stocking Report

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Lake Piru Fishing/Stocking Report

I was just at Lake Piru Friday 7/21/17 and the water continues to go down. I have been to this lake 3 times over the last year and have yet to get anything to bite. Of course I have not had much time in the water as the kids rather jump from the boat than fish from it. But it did get me wondering why the fishing is so sparse.

I asked the ranger about it and he told me that back in 2008 a cross breed of fish was found in the Piru Creek. The state blamed the cross breed on the lake and therefor removed their license to stock the lake. They will no longer stock this lake with any type of fish unless they completely drain the lake and start fresh.

It's been almost 10yrs since this lake has been stocked. Last weekend was a bass tourney on the lake with 14+ boats for 8hrs, Total fish caught.... 2! One 1lb and one 5lb.

There are probably still fish in there, just far and few between.

Quote Originally Posted by Wkendwarior View Post
    I asked the ranger about it and he told me that back in 2008 a cross breed of fish was found in the Piru Creek.
    Holy $hite!

Can we get more details on this?

The fish didn't have three eyes, did it?

Many of the waters that eventually or theoretically drain (record rain, dams overflowing) into the ocean that were once stocked with Rainbow trout were stopped because of fear of breeding with Southern California Steelhead populations which while very very small do exist in several streams/rivers in So Cal. Add in the fear of what trout do to endangered toads and frogs...we have the mess we have now. Few waters being stocked with even sterile trout (even though they cannot breed the steelhead fans try and make a case for increased chance of disease as well as competing for food.) The steelhead forces have the political forces behind them even though millions lose out of catching stocked rainbow trout which makes the steelhead folks think you are the lowest form of a living being.

Growing up I fished the Santa Ynez River, Ventura River, Sespe Creeks (upper and lower) Santa Paula Creek, Piru Creek, Big Tujunga Creek, San Antonio Creek, San Gabriel River, Big Rock Creek, Little Rock Creek..the list is long when adding in San Bernardino and San Diego County streams All but a few still hold trout in any number except with hiking upstream
    Last edited by ALandsford; 07-24-2017 at 04:35 PM.

with no more fish in piru I
    guess I will not fish it anymore///

cm;

Quote Originally Posted by crappiemike View Post
    with no more fish in piru I
    guess I will not fish it anymore///

cm;
    You caught them all.
    I've seen your posts...lol

Quote Originally Posted by ALandsford View Post
    Many of the waters that eventually or theoretically drain (record rain, dams overflowing) into the ocean that were once stocked with Rainbow trout were stopped because of fear of breeding with Southern California Steelhead populations which while very very small do exist in several streams/rivers in So Cal. Add in the fear of what trout do to endangered toads and frogs...we have the mess we have now. Few waters being stocked with even sterile trout (even though they cannot breed the steelhead fans try and make a case for increased chance of disease as well as competing for food.) The steelhead forces have the political forces behind them even though millions lose out of catching stocked rainbow trout which makes the steelhead folks think you are the lowest form of a living being.

Growing up I fished the Santa Ynez River, Ventura River, Sespe Creeks (upper and lower) Santa Paula Creek, Piru Creek, Big Tujunga Creek, San Antonio Creek, San Gabriel River, Big Rock Creek, Little Rock Creek..the list is long when adding in San Bernardino and San Diego County streams All but a few still hold trout in any number except with hiking upstream
    What has happened at Piru is is that an individual who is leasing property upstream from the lake took it into his own hands to stock some of the small streams above the lake. He imported fish from Wyoming. Unfortunately add this to the fish that had moved up from the lake, the few native trout that inhabit the area have been crossbred with the stocked fish.

Quote Originally Posted by fshnritchey View Post
    What has happened at Piru is is that an individual who is leasing property upstream from the lake took it into his own hands to stock some of the small streams above the lake. He imported fish from Wyoming. Unfortunately add this to the fish that had moved up from the lake, the few native trout that inhabit the area have been crossbred with the stocked fish.
    This may be the most interesting bucket brigade story I've heard in all my years on FNN, and I've heard quite a few.

Do you have any sources, or is this a "i heard from my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend who heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw this guy dump Cutthroat into Piru Creek."

And $hite, stocked fish from Wyoming? Beats what our DFG is dumping into our streams. How much for the pound? I know several creeks that could use the supplemental stocks. Something's gotta eat all these arroyo toads.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    This may be the most interesting bucket brigade story I've heard in all my years on FNN, and I've heard quite a few.

Do you have any sources, or is this a "i heard from my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend who heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw this guy dump Cutthroat into Piru Creek."

And $hite, stocked fish from Wyoming? Beats what our DFG is dumping into our streams. How much for the pound? I know several creeks that could use the supplemental stocks. Something's gotta eat all these arroyo toads.
    No. I actually know the person that stocked the stream. It is a feeder to Piru creek. They were very colorful beautiful fish and the stream already had the genes from the native trout and the DFG stockers that move as far upstream from any stocking point that they can pull off. I have caught DFG stockers up to 17 miles above the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Wkendwarior View Post
    I was just at Lake Piru Friday 7/21/17 and the water continues to go down. I have been to this lake 3 times over the last year and have yet to get anything to bite. Of course I have not had much time in the water as the kids rather jump from the boat than fish from it. But it did get me wondering why the fishing is so sparse.

I asked the ranger about it and he told me that back in 2008 a cross breed of fish was found in the Piru Creek. The state blamed the cross breed on the lake and therefor removed their license to stock the lake. They will no longer stock this lake with any type of fish unless they completely drain the lake and start fresh.

It's been almost 10yrs since this lake has been stocked. Last weekend was a bass tourney on the lake with 14+ boats for 8hrs, Total fish caught.... 2! One 1lb and one 5lb.

There are probably still fish in there, just far and few between.
    You are referring to trout stocking. Unless their permit was removed for being out of compliance, Piru should have the capacity to stock their own lake with triploid rainbow trout in the winter.
    Largemouth, Panfish and Catfish are typically not stocked by CDFW. They recruit naturally each year. Piru has been low the past decade. There has been a lack of decent spawning cover. The water draw down is a result of a decision made to replenish the aquifer. Piru is managed for ag water storage, that's their primary mission. Unfortunately the draw down left this year's fry in a bad position for survival.

There are plenty of fish in that lake, and I would even consider it one of the best in the region for a particular species.

Quote Originally Posted by QB7940 View Post
    You are referring to trout stocking. Unless their permit was removed for being out of compliance, Piru should have the capacity to stock their own lake with triploid rainbow trout in the winter.
    Largemouth, Panfish and Catfish are typically not stocked by CDFW. They recruit naturally each year. Piru has been low the past decade. There has been a lack of decent spawning cover. The water draw down is a result of a decision made to replenish the aquifer. Piru is managed for ag water storage, that's their primary mission. Unfortunately the draw down left this year's fry in a bad position for survival.

There are plenty of fish in that lake, and I would even consider it one of the best in the region for a particular species.
    I was not just talking about the stock of trout. The ranger specifically said that they lost their permit to stock any types of fish. Now if the reason was a cross breed or some other reason, the cross breed in the creek was the reason he gave me. There may be fish in that lake and they may repopulate without human assistance. I am just offering up what info I was given.