Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: A quiet summer evening spent fishing in a local park

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default A quiet summer evening spent fishing in a local park

I will admit fishing at the parks isn't what it was 5 years ago. That's when the DFG would stock catfish May-Nov and 3 out of the 4 weeks, somewhere would be stocked. That's not to say there still isn't some spring and summer fishing opportunity's still available at the local parks. The rules changed like there is no more DFG catfish stocking. But that doesn't mean catfish aren't still being stocked or the resident Bass, Carp and Panfish aren't waiting for you to try to catch them.

Some people think the DFG are the only ones who stock fish!!! Hardly, the County's and City's and private donations go along way in still providing opportunity's at your local parks. I'll spell a few things out for some people who have no idea what I'm talking about. I'll start with catfish, even though those no good nicks DFG stop stocking them other groups came to the rescue. The first group is Kid's Fishing derby's. The first morning is for the kids, but after that it's open to anyone. I've fished derby fish weeks after the derby and still had decent result's. The County's stepped up to the plate and do their own stockings. Yorba Park a few months back stocked so many catfish it was very good catfishing for a very long time after that.

The Bass fishing in local parks for the people with the perseverance and talent are amply rewarded. A friend of mine showed me some pictures of some Bass he caught at the park in Gardena this spring and all I can say was, "Holy Guamacole!!!" 6 -9 pounders every one of them!!! As for the Carp, that is a totally unfished resource. In my local pond if I was to spend just an hour or 2 each evening. The chances are good, I would catch a Double digit Carp more often then not. As for the Panfish, it isn't what it use to be, but that doesn't mean I couldn't find a WFO bite if I looked hard enough.

This all sounds great in theory but what have you done for me lately!!!! Well I'll tell you, "they stocked Catfish a month ago in the Orange county ponds." (paid for by the county) I tried my old reliable lake first and didn't catch squat!!! (I didn't see anybody else catch fish either) I then tried Craig park also using my fish graph bobber and found that lake full of silt. I then tried lake number 3 and hit the jackpot!!!! The lake is deeper and the Catfish are suspended mid depth. (perfect for a bobber) I caught 7 in an hour the first day and have been grinding them out every evening I go. They are now in night time mode. Which means they hit right as it getting dark or in the Black. Doesn't give you a whole lot of time but it will be getting darker a little earlier each day now.

What inspired me to write this was what happened Friday night. By the way, in the middle of the week I'm usually fishing by myself. I came to my local pond and found 2 other groups of people fishing there. 2 guy's came with their bobbers looking to catch some panfish. (which they did) They other group was just having too much fun!!! Lot's of smack talking the works!!! One of them walked over to me and showed me a picture of a #4 LMB he caught right before I showed up. They had also caught some Bluegill and a catfish and were real stoked. Me I caught 3 catfish in the last 45 minutes the park was open. It occurred to me, everyone who showed up caught some fish and had a great time!!!!! Why more people aren't doing this I'll never know!!! As for the name of the park, I'm going to keep that to myself. But there is so many other parks people could be fishing and have a good time at. I don't know why more people aren't doing it!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 07-17-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Very true,my two cents are,they may not have the success others have because they don't go enough,or they don't want to pay the $50+ to obtain a license,as the fish and wildlife authorities do show up at local city lakes often,just my thoughts,but it would be interesting to know why,when I tell people I fish Legg Lake,they usually respond aren't you scared your gonna get mugged or robbed etc...I think they say that because they haven't been there in years!
    ps. Say Hi to Glenn for me.
    Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Very true,my two cents are,they may not have the success others have because they don't go enough,or they don't want to pay the $50+ to obtain a license,as the fish and wildlife authorities do show up at local city lakes often,just my thoughts,but it would be interesting to know why,when I tell people I fish Legg Lake,they usually respond aren't you scared your gonna get mugged or robbed etc...I think they say that because they haven't been there in years!
    ps. Say Hi to Glenn for me.
    Cya Tuna Vic
    Glenn is a great guy!!! I'll give him your regards!!! Hopefully in the up coming weeks, we will have some great Salt water trips to report.

I'm going to pull a Hook trick and respond to me own post. (instead of writing a similar thread) I went out again last night to one of my local Orange County ponds and fished for catfish. (I haven't tried in a few weeks) I knew these fish are in night time mode. (biting right at dark and through the blackness of the night) I got a little more time now as the day's are getting shorter again. So in the 45 minutes of bite time that I had, I got 6 bites and landed a 1 1/2, 2 1/2 and a 3 pound catfish. (excellent quality) I C&R of course. I know of 1 or 2 Orange County ponds are getting additional Catfish stockings in Aug. Along with an excellent Bass report given by a fellow FNN'R in the same body's of water. It wouldn't be a bad idea from the middle of Aug through Sept to give these body's of water a try!!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 07-31-2017 at 07:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    As for the name of the park, I'm going to keep that to myself.
    Commendable that you would not blow up your spot.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    A friend of mine showed me some pictures of some Bass he caught at the park in Gardena this spring and all I can say was, "Holy Guamacole!!!" 6 -9 pounders every one of them!!!
    But you will blow up a friend's spot!

Oh eTucks. The irony is funny, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Commendable that you would not blow up your spot.

But you will blow up a friend's spot!

Oh eTucks. The irony is funny, isn't it?
    The joke is there is no park in Gardena!!!! lol The report is real, but the exact location wasn't given to protect the innocent. (the Bass) lol
    Last edited by etucker1959; 07-17-2017 at 04:19 PM.