Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing  The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  FXG International  Pete Marino Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  Last Chance Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Blue Green Algae @ Silverwood

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Beaumont, CA
    Posts
    413

    Default Blue Green Algae @ Silverwood

    I saw on the news last night that there is a blue/green algae bloom at Lake Silverwood and there is no body contact. Boating is OK, just no swimming.

  2. #2

    Default

    Interesting just got back from the Sierra's but drove up last night, didn't see a boat on the water was wondering if they shut it down also. Didn't have a chance to talk to anybody that works there might have more info. later today.

    Good news is nobody is there! It's like the dead of winter. Both the Cleghorn parking and lot's 2 and 3 were closed last night.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Thooget of Humilityland
    Posts
    11,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Good news is nobody is there!
    AND Blue Green algae makes great marinade.

  4. #4

    Default

    There was talk of raising the level even higher to the danger level, don't know the implications. There is a blue stone treatment scheduled for Friday so no boating, not sure if the lake will be closed to all activities that day or just boating and swimming.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Beaumont, CA
    Posts
    413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    There was talk of raising the level even higher to the danger level, don't know the implications. There is a blue stone treatment scheduled for Friday so no boating, not sure if the lake will be closed to all activities that day or just boating and swimming.
    sael,

    When I first saw the announcement on the TV they said you could still boat on the lake, just no body contact. I would be too surprised if they even closed it to boating just to be overly cautious.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BassinPLS View Post
    sael,

    When I first saw the announcement on the TV they said you could still boat on the lake, just no body contact. I would be too surprised if they even closed it to boating just to be overly cautious.
    No boating on Friday only during bluestone, other than that boating is still allowed. Didn't see or hear anything regarding upping the level as of yesterday. They will be testing the week following the blue stone treatment to determine if the water is once again ok for swimming. Cleghorn has been looking real bad but it's been windy last couple days and that seems to help clear up the water a bit.

  7. #7

    Default

    I've heard that the blue green algae is very toxic to dogs as well.

  8. #8

    Default

    Don't know if they blue stoned, boats were out on the water in the afternoon on Friday.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Don't know if they blue stoned, boats were out on the water in the afternoon on Friday.
    Thinking about heading to Silverwood this weekend. Is it still closed to body contact? Don't want to deal with lake lice.

  10. #10

    Default

    They opened to body contact yesterday but still in a "caution" warning, stay away from the algae. I don't know it's either safe or it isn't, not sure about these warning categories.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •