Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: back in the kelp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default back in the kelp

The weather was perfect and I had 1/2 day to get out and check the kelp situation. Still rather heavy shore break on south swell . but warm water and manageable wind chop. Some bait and a lot of smelt following whatever you throw. There were a couple free-dive spear-fishermen but the visibility was poor so they went back on shore quickly, not sure if they got anything.

I began throwing plastic jig off my old 9 ft surfboard and instantly hooked up with short WSB, a nice start. Same near-shore patch produced a short calico too. Tried a lighter jig for no results and switched to Croc with a flasher on a side - it worked great. In 3-4 kelp areas I inspected I got a sandy, 8 more calicos and a young cuda. Earlier I realized I lost my fish stringer and on the way picked up a 4ft dog leash at Wal-Mart for 99 c - to see if I can bring a couple fish for dinner. Dragged a couple ~20" models on the leash attached to board leash loop while nearby seal watched from the kelp shaking his head.

Timed the landing well but was slow walking out and got slammed by the wave. No problem for me or board. But it is a lot easier to get sand out of your ears than from Sedona reel - I washed it but sure enough - it gives that scratching sound - maybe a time to retire it finally. It served so well for a long time.
    Checked party boat reports and they were loaded with people but not so much with catches. It was worth the exercise and fillets fried on butter with salt were highlight of the dinner.

Have fun out there!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Board set.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	96.2 KB 
ID:	50134   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calicos 7-14.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	50135  

Couple of nice Calico's,I'm sure dinner was great!

Cya Tuna Vic

Tasty catch, sorry about the reel!

Dragging fish around on a leash from your board sounds good, until one of the great whites that have been cruising around on our coast decides to make a dinner out of them. And you.