Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: San Gabriel Reservoir Fishing Trip and Report/Video

1. Default San Gabriel Reservoir Fishing Trip and Report/Video

Fished San Gabriel Reservoir up Azusa Canyon recently. The water levels are ridiculously high compared to recent years--all my prior fishing spots are way underwater now! There is a lot of shoreline cover, with partially submerged trees, and much easier access than there has been in the past. Saw few families camped out bait fishing in the offroad vehicle section, with canopies setup during the hot weather.

I spent an hour throwing a jerkbait and soft plastic. I spotted a large carp cruising the bank, along with several smaller ones from farther away.

About 20 minutes in, my jerkbait got nailed by something near one of the opposite shores from the point I was fishing on. Fought it for a little while, got it close to the shore, looked like a decent largemouth, but it came off immediately afterwards. Darn!

Lots of leftover mussels on the shoreline next to fishing line--someone fishing for catfish?

Wind was picking up by the end, making it hard to cast. I wrapped it up early, but hope to get back again soon and keep exploring that reservoir.

Video:

I think I know where that's at, but hard to tell because the water level has risen as you have mentioned. How was bass fishing for you when the water was low? Glad to know there are signs of life in there. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks I love the Azusa Canyon area spent a lot of time in that canyon in the 60s when I was younger, I wonder how west fork is these days. I remember how pretty west fork was after hiking in about six miles or so and the stream was full of trout also.

thx for the vid, been planning to run to the bridge of nowhere but now I might have to take a pole with me and look for some fishing spots

Quote Originally Posted by old pudd fisher View Post
    Thanks I love the Azusa Canyon area spent a lot of time in that canyon in the 60s when I was younger, I wonder how west fork is these days. I remember how pretty west fork was after hiking in about six miles or so and the stream was full of trout also.
    Keep remembering. It has been through drought and extremely low (and warm) water. It's been loved to death by tens of thousand of folks who want to escape the heat each weekend. It remains that wonderful place in your memory but not so much now. The trout are pretty much gone throughout the forest between the drought and the fires. It was my playground in the 60's and 70's as well. Ironically, I found an article from 1995 that chronicles the overcrowding problem 22 years ago.

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-09-...ational-forest
    Last edited by Viejo; 07-14-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks ' Viejo ' Yeah its not what it used to be but I still take a drive up there sometimes and enjoy it, just don't do the hiking part anymore.

Love that drone footage! How much does something like that go for?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Breaking Bass View Post
    Love that drone footage! How much does something like that go for?
    I'm flying the Dobby Drone, a little pocket drone with a stabilized, 1080p camera. It's dropped a bunch in price recently: http://amzn.to/2fnst1D $250 right now.