Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Float Tube Fishing in Dana Point

Default Float Tube Fishing in Dana Point

My buddy Bassin’ Rich wanted to hit Dana Point, so we met up at Baby Beach and had a great time. We did OK in the harbor, Rich better than I, but out at the end of the jetty we ran into a pretty decent calico bass bite with lots of dinks and a couple of quality fish.

I normally like to get in close to the rocks and fish out to deeper water, but doing that on the open water side of the jetty would have been suicide, so we bobbed along in the waves and wakes and fished the rocks from the outside.

When we were fishing the inner marina, I saw a couple of kids in float tubes catching mackerel by the handful at the bait barge. They were having a great time and it made me smile to see the young ones enjoying this great sport.

All in all a good day! Plenty of fish and free parking! Dana Point is definitely a great place for float tube fishing!

You sure got that tubing dialed in Bob,nice to have a buddy to enjoy it with,I'd like to find one a tube that is, for a big guy like me,6'3" 275lbs,any suggestions,just sold my skiff but still want to fish the salt,even thinking of a kayak.

Cya Tuna Vic

Love to see you out there, Vic! If you're in the So Cal area, hit me up any time. I'm a big guy and I have an Outcast Super Fat Cat and I love it. It's a bit of a tank, but I like that. The inflatable seat and back are comfy and their 5 year warranty tells you something about the quality.

Before you buy a kayak, rent one and try it. I did and I didn't like it, but lots of guys love them, so try one first. After my one experience, I can tell you the only kayak I would consider is one of the ones you can pedal. Having to switch between my fishing rod and the paddle was a pain. I want that rod in my hands every minute.

I'm 66 years old, fat, and a pretty low level of fitness and I still get around great in the tube. I'll be huffing and puffing walking from the car to the beach, but once I'm in the water, I just relax, glide along and have a blast. If I can do a mile and back out to the end of the jetty, anyone can.
    Last edited by Ornery Bob; 07-25-2017 at 02:33 PM.

Nice write up Bob , I bought a Hobie Outback at Purewater Sports in Dana Harbor . I Could have bought much closer to home , I also live in Long Beach . But the sales guy at Pure was great , Dana Harbor is kool fishing spot . I can't stand for long periods . But in my OB I spend 5-6 yrs on the water at a time . Tubeing Kayaking is the average man / gal fishing experience. You can solo >> as I do << or buddy up that is lots fun ribbing up your partner . I Love night fishing in Alamitos Bay . I normally fish a bay during day a few times , before I fish at night . I like getting the lay of the area landing areas and parking before night fishing . Hope to see you on the water Bob boB

Cool video!

Another quality video, thanks! Love that you show the location on Google Earth - very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Bob View Post
    Love to see you out there, Vic! If you're in the So Cal area, hit me up any time. I'm a big guy and I have an Outcast Super Fat Cat and I love it. It's a bit of a tank, but I like that. The inflatable seat and back are comfy and their 5 year warranty tells you something about the quality.

Before you buy a kayak, rent one and try it. I did and I didn't like it, but lots of guys love them, so try one first. After my one experience, I can tell you the only kayak I would consider is one of the ones you can pedal. Having to switch between my fishing rod and the paddle was a pain. I want that rod in my hands every minute.

I'm 66 years old, fat, and a pretty low level of fitness and I still get around great in the tube. I'll be huffing and puffing walking from the car to the beach, but once I'm in the water, I just relax, glide along and have a blast. If I can do a mile and back out to the end of the jetty, anyone can.
    Thanks for the reply Bob,I'm looking!
    Cya Tuna Vic