Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Any info on Lone Pine or Independence sand traps?

Default Any info on Lone Pine or Independence sand traps?

I'm planning a 2 day fishing in the lone pine area next week. Anyone know the fishing conditions at the sand traps?
    Any hot spots in the area would be appreciated.

Also, anyone visit a pond like sand trap between Independence and the Owens River. Curious if it holds any fish.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bashman View Post
    I'm planning a 2 day fishing in the lone pine area next week. Anyone know the fishing conditions at the sand traps?
    Any hot spots in the area would be appreciated.

Also, anyone visit a pond like sand trap between Independence and the Owens River. Curious if it holds any fish.
    Thanks!
    Lots of water moving through the Owens and sand traps.....lots of water. Google your question and see if some one has posted . You can also look up the sporting goods shop in Independence or Lone pine and ask the same question. Google earth will show you the numerous ponds and sloughs that dot the area. All are full and some have reeds around the edge that make angling difficult without a float tube. There are bass in the pond you mentioned and they are frequently caught on topwater flies like poppers or sliders. Be very aware of the rapid water you might find. It's wicked in places this year. Do a trip report on the conditions (and fish you find) when you get back with pictures. Folks enjoy see what their recommendations might have on your trip.
    Last edited by Viejo; 07-13-2017 at 07:37 AM.

fished the sand trap in lone pine and it is so shallow and silty, everything is pretty much blown out. I ended up passing the creeks around lone pine to go to Bishop and ended up getting limits there. I personally wouldn't fish anywhere below Bishop due to water flow.

I've never seen the water so high in the Bishop Creek drainage! Been going up there for a long time and was amazed at the water, while we were there South lake spilled and Bishop creek below was running way high, waders are a must or if you are tough enough you can wet wade the cold water.