Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Fishing Spot Open " WFO " after 3 Year Closure

I actually work really nearby this lake/park. I have been patiently waiting for this to open so I can stop by after work. I was in constant contact with the city about the opening date and if there would be a stocking prior to opening date.

Their response:

Good morning Michael,

Fish stocking will not be done until CDFW (California Dept. of Fish & Wildlife's) deems the water quality in the lake is suitable for fish. They typically don't stock trout till the winter. Hope this helps.

(I didn't even ask about the trout so that made me feel that they won't be stocking until the winter season).

It may seem as if they're only trying to stock trout and catfish in there.

However, from their response, I felt that fishing may not be any good until DFW finally stocks. I was surprised to hear that there are catfish in there. What happens if bass were to "magically" sprout there? haha

What about baitfish. There would need to be some sort of population of baitfish so the game fish can survive right?

I really hope this lake ends up with some bass.

Lol on the response; They have already stated in previous articles that it will be a C&R lake due to the water quality from urban runoff.
    The guy that caught the Carp did keep it Feed his children

Last edited by DockRat; 07-06-2017 at 07:32 PM.

They plan on stocking trout but it's going to be catch and release only? Somehow that doesn't quite make sense them trout are going to boil. If C&R why not go with a largemouth stocking?

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    They plan on stocking trout but it's going to be catch and release only? Somehow that doesn't quite make sense them trout are going to boil. If C&R why not go with a largemouth stocking?
    Yeah that makes a lot more sense! Bass can survive year round, but they'll need some baitfish in there for them to feed on. Aren't the survival rates of C&R trout really low(since they tend to gut the bait often)? It doesn't look like this will end up being a good fishing lake after all.

You mean the DFW's plan isn't logically thought out?

Color me shocked.

My local lake is better than your local lake!

Quote Originally Posted by noleash View Post
    My local lake is better than your local lake!
    Yea... But the local inshore saltwater fishery in that area is some of the best calico/sand/halibut/corbina/perch fishing in so cal! Ha HA ..Oh Yea thats why I keep my skiff in the water at all times there so I have a great alternative to "My Lake". In all seriously DR Im supper stoked for you and all the die hard bucket bass crew in the area! Just give it a little time... And start hanging those trophies on the wall! Note to General Public ... Tread lightly lots of people that take their bass fishery personal and they will let you know about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    You mean the DFW's plan isn't logically thought out?

Color me shocked.
    I smell horse crap somewhere, not sure where it's coming from but quite sure DFW is not going to stock trout for C&R when they are not going to survive. Yea they may not always make decisions that make sense to us but in this case I highly doubt the accuracy of all the information.

IMO they will wait to check on water quality before they decide on what (if any) fish get stocked or
    if it will be a C&R lake. I really dought it will ever get trout. When they tore out the couple acres of reeds
    where the snakes were the last couple years during the rehab. 8 years ago I met a guy from Florida that used to own a tackle shop and was a LMB guy.
    He said he spent days going around the lake trying everything and never caught a Bass.

It needs to stocked with bass. The water snakes ate a lot of the baitfish.

2010 article; Snakes in a lake: Over the last few months, a team of wildlife biologists slogged through Harbor City's Machado Lake on a mission to trap non-native water snakes, hauling in around 300 of them. That's only a fraction of the estimated 3,000 snakes living in the lake, the Daily Breeze reports. Thanks to an ample supply of bullfrogs, the snakes are "ridiculously fat. ... They're living high on the hog," according to wildlife biologist Robert Reed. The snakes are not poisonous but they do bite, so taking a swim in the lake is not advisable.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast