Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Island Grissom Revisited

Default Island Grissom Revisited

Not long after getting my tube, I went to Island Grissom for the first time and basically the fish laughed me out of the water. I had one hookup early on and then went five hours without a bite. It was pathetic.

I landed a small sandie about 20 yards off the beach as I was getting out, so not technically a skunk, but pretty humiliating nonetheless. It was good motivation to work at getting better.

Today I had a 27 fish total with 7 different species, including two white sea bass! Today I rocked Island Grissom!

1 lizard fish, 2 spotties, 2 mackerel, 8 sandies, 10 calicos, 2 halibut and 2 small white sea bass. What a day! Long Beach inshore fishing delivers!

I also saw two tubers out there. I've seen 'yakers before, but this was the first time I've seen tubers. Welcome my brothers!

However, I disagree with the way they were fishing it. They were standing off the island and casting towards the shore. I think it's too hard to get right into the edge of the kelp without getting hung up that way. It's a good way to lose lures.

Float tubes are *perfect* for sitting right on top of the kelp in close and that way you can cast out to the sandy bottom where the halibut and sand bass live, and then work in to the edge of the kelp where the calicos and spotties are. You can see where the kelp is and work your bait into it but not onto it.

Of course, you have to get over the "kelp on my legs!!!" heebie geebies. The first time some kelp brushed against my bare legs, I jumped and freaked a little. And you have to wear fins that are very secure as the kelp will pull them off if you're not careful. But now I'm over being bothered by the kelp. I've gotten to the point where I will deliberately twist my leg around a kelp frond and use it as an anchor. It's no big deal.

So I think fishing from a spot wrapped up in the kelp is the way to go, but it's definitely an acquired taste.

Fished Hookup Baits all day. 20 lb braid with 12lb fluorocarbon leader.

Here are some highlights - left out a number of dinks.

Happy fishing everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Ornery Bob View Post
    So I think fishing from a spot wrapped up in the kelp is the way to go, but it's definitely an acquired taste.
    Too funny

Did you put in off the beach ?

Yes. There's a parking lot just off Shoreline drive. It's a 300+ yards hike across the sand. Wear foot protection.

Mite launch my Kayak across the channel at launch ramp . I like wash/rinse it before hauling it in my truck .

Yeah, I've launched out of SouthShore several times. There is a lot going on in that channel bottom-wise. It's halibut city in the flats opposite from Shoreline Marina, but the boat traffic can be murder. A lot of guys seem to think that whole channel is deep water and it's definitely not. I usually stay on Queen side up to Shoreline Village and then troll the flats as I cross the channel and then work the rocks all the way up to Grissom.

The NOAA chart 18751 shows you where the flats are, if you're not familiar.

I will only make that run in the tube if the tides are right to sweep me out early and bring me back later. Trying to fight the tide in that channel stops being fun real fast.