Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Quick Trip to Mammoth, June 24th-26th

Default Quick Trip to Mammoth, June 24th-26th

Did a quick trip to Mammoth to get away from the heat in LA. Didn't do much fishing but, always nice to get up to the Sierras.

The road to the Mammoth Lakes finally opened last week and Lake Mary is ice free but, plenty of snow in the ground. It was windy and rainy in the late afternoon when we tried our luck and only caught one but, other folks were catching fish

Mammoth was crawling with people, never seen it that crowded in June. Guess the word is finally out that Mammoth is a great place to take the kids for the summer. Will probably just come up when the kids are back in school for future visits. Tried going to Convict but, by ten, all the parking spaces were taken!

Did a drive up to Upper Virginia Lake and saw that the like was about 50% ice free. Unfortunately, most of the ice was blocking most of the fishing spots. Did find a spot a little further down but, didn't get a bite. Beautiful though and it was sunny and warm. Trumbull campground was still closed but read that Lower Virginia was completely clear.

If you never ate at the Restaurant at Convict Lake and you are up with the wifey, you should treat her to a nice dinner here.

Took one last picture from the outlet. Notice the height of the water, usually the rocks in the foreground are mostly exposed.

Looking forward to returning in October to see the fall colors.

Nice Pictures thanks for the report.

Looks chilly up there

Nice pictures! I wonder if the crowds at Mammoth are partially due to all the snow in the higher elevations -- I know a lot of campgrounds are still closed, and some of the creekside spots are flooded. Plus places like Tioga Pass Resort were damaged and aren't going to open this year at all.

That picture of Convict is amazing, I was there less than a week prior, and this is what it looked like then. The creek was roaring then, I can only imagine what it is like now.

THanks for the update!

Thanks! It was cold the first day as a storm moved in but, it was bright and sunny the next day. Highs in the 80s in Mammoth. Even up at Upper Virginia it was t-shirt weather. Nice pic of Convict, all those rocks in the foreground were underwater when we were there.