Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food for Thought

Default Food for Thought

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/Fishing-for-nesting-bass

If the male is removed from his brood at any point during the four to five week period of parental care, his brood is quickly consumed by brood predators (approximately 50 per cent after ten minutes of male absence). Harvest of a guarding male results in 100-percent brood destruction. Catch-and-release angling of a guarding male results in partial consumption while he is off the nest, and 100 per cent destruction if he abandons that nest as a result of the angling incident, which is not uncommon.

We all have to accept that fishing, even catch-and-release fishing, is not really in the best interests of the fish. For example, studies show that a non-trivial number of wild trout will die after C&R, even if barbless hooks are used.

I do fish LMB in the spring, but always release immediately, hopefully that helps. While I don't purposely target bedding fish, I do realize that by fishing in less than 20 feet of water I'm probably catching spawning fish.

I like what Castaic does, closing off dry gulch to fishing during the spawn. Gives them a chance. Tournaments should also consider allowing for some kind of immediate measure-and-release in the spring, as transporting all those hundreds of fish to the launch ramp is essentially killing their whole nest.

Having said that, people have been fishing for bass for decades in these local lakes, and they seem to be doing just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    Having said that, people have been fishing for bass for decades in these local lakes, and they seem to be doing just fine.
    Isnt "fine" a relative term tho?

Fine compared to what?

By far the majority of the time when a male is caught and immediately released in close proximity to their nest they return very quickly. So to me the boaters and tournament anglers that chastise occasional catch and keep anglers are a bit hypocritical. I feel it's possible that many that take the fish off beds and give them a ride around the lake either for the glory 5 fish picture or for weigh in are the ones that are affecting the spawn more significantly.

A little reality check is good for all of us, some just don't want to admit that they have an impact on bass mortality.

Besides all of that poop bass are not exactly an endangered species in most lakes so no big deal, oh and I know the inner city park lakes are a whole different discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    By far the majority of the time when a male is caught and immediately released in close proximity to their nest they return very quickly.
    I think that's the point of this post and this study. The people who think that releasing bedding fish immediately are not doing harm are in for some bad news.

Even if you do release them immediately, the study says that even if released, a vast percentage of the fry will eventually die. Yes, even if released.

If the male is removed from his brood at any point during the four to five week period of parental care, his brood is quickly consumed by brood predators (approximately 50 per cent after ten minutes of male absence).
    i.e, When you pull that male off and even have it away from it's nest for TEN minutes, 50% of the fry will die.

Harvest of a guarding male results in 100-percent brood destruction.
    i.e, When you fry that male, 100% of his fry will die.

Catch-and-release angling of a guarding male results in partial consumption while he is off the nest, and 100 per cent destruction if he abandons that nest as a result of the angling incident, which is not uncommon.
    i.e, Oh, you say you catch and release? Check out those odds. "Partial consumption" at best, and "100% destruction" at worse. Yes, even if you release them. Essentially, just because he swam back to the nest, doesn't mean he'll guard it.

Again, since science isn't really legitimized in this day in age, this can be labeled as "fake news" if it suits you.

Everything we do as anglers can and does result in some death of fish. Catch and release for trout no matter how careful them suckers can be very delicate. I can't remember at any time catch and releasing bass where I have the fish out of the water for more than a couple minutes so not too many of those little babies die. The only answer is no fishing during the spawning months period. I love those that say they don't catch bedding bass, how the hell do they know? You may not target them but when you are tossing shallow in the spring and catch one it is quite possibly a fish that was on the bed or around it.

I have no problem with any of it though at this point, it seems largemouth are a pretty durable bunch, damn things are in every body of water it seems and eating up all the poor striper fry but not to worry the stripers get their revenge. Funny not long ago I read on the Internet an article on stripers that stated stripers don't really prey on small largemouth because of the sharp fins, hahahahahahahahha! I've seen schools of baby largemouth committing hari-kari on the beach trying to get away from stripers. Same article was talking about stripers not spawning in lakes. So much crap out there on the Internet, yes much of it is quite possibly fake news.

So to summarize bed fishing...
    keeping a fish and eating it, fish dies, and offspring die.
    Keeping a fish away from the nest or fry its guarding for the rest of the day(turny or glory shot) fish lives offspring die.
    Taking too long to release a fish caught from a bed some of the offspring will die.
    Releasing a fish immediately back there is a chance some of the offspring will die.
    Staying home and posting random crap on the internet, a bird could eat the fish and they all still die...

The bass population in most lakes is not in jeopardy, catch and release immediately is the best practice short of not catching them at all. I don't lose any sleep at night wondering if i inadvertently caused the destruction of some eggs or fry. What’s the survival rate of bass anyway, 1%?

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    So to me the boaters and tournament anglers that chastise occasional catch and keep anglers are a bit hypocritical.
    Yeah - post a picture of 2 or 3 LMBs on a stringer, and people will completely LOSE THEIR MINDS.

But post a springtime picture of 5 bass in a livewell at the launchramp, resulting in the deaths of 50,000 fry (which equates to 50 adult bass)... crickets...

Quote Originally Posted by twin22s View Post
    So to summarize bed fishing...
    keeping a fish and eating it, fish dies, and offspring die.
    Keeping a fish away from the nest or fry its guarding for the rest of the day(turny or glory shot) fish lives offspring die.
    Taking too long to release a fish caught from a bed some of the offspring will die.
    Releasing a fish immediately back there is a chance some of the offspring will die.
    Staying home and posting random crap on the internet, a bird could eat the fish and they all still die...

The bass population in most lakes is not in jeopardy, catch and release immediately is the best practice short of not catching them at all. I don't lose any sleep at night wondering if i inadvertently caused the destruction of some eggs or fry. What’s the survival rate of bass anyway, 1%?
    Thanks for the accurate summary. I say killing all the damn birds is the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Isnt "fine" a relative term tho?

Fine compared to what?
    Exactly. If you have ever been fishing outside Southern California, you wont think it's so fine. Our lakes around here are tiny in all reality. Having a tournament during the spawn on a 500 acre lake sure as heck isn't doing the population any good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast