Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear Lake road trip. Do it.

Default Clear Lake road trip. Do it.

I was up to Clear lake twice this year. Why?? Because i'm from Central California and my grandpa like going there. So I was up there April 8th weekend and the weekend of June 10th. The bass and crappie and bluegill are on a frenzy. You can limit out within a couple hours. Bass probably in less than an hour. I didnt get a chance to fish for catfish, because I was mostly after crappie and fixing pole for kids. BUT this one guy that was up there did log in 35 cats. NO LIMIT up there. They were substantially smaller this year averaging around 4 and 5 pounds. He did have a 17.8 tho. The Crappie were biting pretty strong at times and sometime slow. By Slow, I mean about 4 or 5 an hour. Other times you can get like 7 in a row. So it was somewhat slower than last year. But at times. EVERYBODY was catching them. My 88 year old grandparents had doubles. I Personally caught over 100 between Friday morning and Sunday morning. Long story short. GO. I've only gone out 4 times this year. Henshaw once, Salton Sea once and Clear lake twice. New job and no spare time. Hopefully, I can go out once or twice before dove season.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170609_155544.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	50090Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170610_075631.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	50089

Clearlake is God's County!

Very nice thanks.

Oh very cool! What are the average size of those crappies? I can't really tell by the photo. I've always wanted to go up there and fish for panfish with my ultralight outfits.

The fish averaged 1lb to 1 1/4. There were only 3 caught over 2 lbs.. A lot of them were Large tho. The photos don't do them justice. Go ultralite. I used eagle claw featherlight paired with .20mm tectan line. 1/64 oz head with 1-3/4 fin-s-shads. Garlands and cabelas crappie minnow. All crystal and silver glitter colors.

Thanks Dores34. Good info. But what area? Is there public docks to fish from?

Well the fish are everywhere. I'm not just saying that. There are houses a and lodges around some of the lake. But it's pretty much public. If you don't have a boat. Then you'd want to stay at a resort on the water. Clearlake Oaks area has plenty of fish. The launch ramp area there you can fish from shore. The lower end has a public launch area and a pier that has fish. If you have a mobile home you can stay in State Park. You can fish A lot of shore at state park. All of clearlake oaks has fish. The East side of rattle snake island has a bunch of crappie, bass, bluegill and cats. Kinocti harbor has bass and crappie. The mountain side and in the harbor across the launch ramp on the lower end has crappie and bass. I didn't go the the north end this last trip. Cuz I was doing good. But that's usually good for bass. Around shad rock has crappie too. Again. The fish are everywhere. You can't have a bad day.
    Last edited by Dores34; 06-29-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Some folks are questioning whether reducing limit from 25 Crappie per day in possession to 10 fish per day after reports of "lots of fish" going out of the lake every day regardless of size. Claiming the most of the fish are being caught by folks from the Bay Area. Hard to imagine what a family of five would do with 125 fish in a day? Nobody likes fish tacos that much.

Supervisors to consider crappie limit

By Jason Morash, jmorash@record-bee.com, @rbjmorash on Twitter
    Posted: 05/09/16, 9:14 PM PDT | Updated: on 05/09/2016
    0 Comments

LAKE COUNTY >> The Lake County Board of Supervisors plans to discuss a support letter to the California Fish and Game Commission on Tuesday calling for the reduction of Clear Lake crappie daily bag limits.
    According to county documents, the letter calls for the daily catch maximums to be set at 10 per person instead of the current one at 25 so the fishery can be protected in a season that has recently boomed, attracting many anglers to the lake.
    The county sent similar letters to the commission in 2005 and 2010. In both cases, action wasn’t taken.

“We once again want to raise our concern addressing the overharvesting of crappie on Clear Lake,” the letter said. “The current daily bag limit …is highly excessive in light of the number of individuals fishing and impacting the resource.”
    There have also been instances of illegal overfishing. Earlier in the year, two people were convicted of poaching the fish in 2015, possessing more than 400 then what they were legally allowed.
    “It’s a very large bag limit; just a few people can take a lot of fish out of the lake,” District 3 Supervisor Jim Steeled added.

Along with protecting the population of the two species in the lake, the letter further argues that a lower catch will make an impact on illegal sales of the fish to Bay Area restaurants by those who come back home with their takes.
    “It is our intent, through the revision of the daily bag limit, to ensure a sustainable Crappie fishery in Clear Lake for years to come,” the letter said.
    Last edited by Viejo; 06-29-2017 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    Earlier in the year, two people were convicted of poaching the fish in 2015, possessing more than 400 then what they were legally allowed.
    I somehow doubt that people that keep 400 fish over the limit are going to be deterred if the limit is changed to 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Viejo View Post
    Hard to imagine what a family of five would do with 125 fish in a day? Nobody likes fish tacos that much.
    I do! Maybe 125 is a bit much, but I definitely catch and keep over 25 sac perch each spring. My family likes to eat them a lot more than trout. I filet, vacuum-pack, and deep freeze them, and eat them all throughout the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dores34 View Post
    Well the fish are everywhere. I'm not just saying that. There are houses a and lodges around some of the lake. But it's pretty much public. If you don't have a boat. Then you'd want to stay at a resort on the water. Clearlake Oaks area has plenty of fish. The launch ramp area there you can fish from shore. The lower end has a public launch area and a pier that has fish. If you have a mobile home you can stay in State Park. You can fish A lot of shore at state park. All of clearlake oaks has fish. The East side of rattle snake island has a bunch of crappie, bass, bluegill and cats. Kinocti harbor has bass and crappie. The mountain side and in the harbor across the launch ramp on the lower end has crappie and bass. I didn't go the the north end this last trip. Cuz I was doing good. But that's usually good for bass. Around shad rock has crappie too. Again. The fish are everywhere. You can't have a bad day.
    Can you rent a boat there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast