Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June 25th Lake Perris Horrible Tragedy

Default June 25th Lake Perris Horrible Tragedy

Usually I try to interject humor and be a wise guy with my posts, but this one is serious. Went out Sunday in the late afternoon with all the lake lice. I think every jet skier within a 50 mile radius was out there. Tried a few spots and settled deep over by Sail Boat Cove. Saw the sheriffs boat going back and forth in the cove followed by a patrol boat. The sheriffs department had a command post set up on shore. Evidently they dropped sonar and were looking for a drowning victim. Eventually they dropped a orange buoy and had me leave the area as I suspect they found what they were looking for and divers were going in. Looked like family members were holding vigial on shore and waiting for the news. At the end of the day I was exiting the lake the same time the sheriffs boat came in and it was greeted by what appeared to be a white van to take away the victim.

All in all, a sad site. Im not sure the specifics, but his happens every year at Perris and all over. But got to wonder....................if only the victim had been wearing a life jacket..if only.

So sad. We were there Saturday. After setting up our eazy up my wife and son who is 4 stayed and they let dad fish for a little. When I came back my wife was sitting with 3 little kids and our son in the shade. I thought they had made some new friends but found out that those 3 kids, the oldest being 6 had been left at the waters edge by their parents as they went back up to their vehicle. The middle kid had gone in the water and couldn't get back to shore, no life jacket. The other 2 kids were trying to get him but he was too deep. My wife, being an ex swimmer was able to grab the now 2 kids that were so deep they couldn't touch and neither could swim. She made them stay with her under the shade until their parents got back. It would have been another tragedy for sure had they not been close enough to us to know they needed help. God knows what the parents were doing, the kids sat there while I was there for at least a half hour and my wife said they had been there at least 20 minutes before I got back. I had some harsh words for the parents when they asked what the he'll we were doing with their kids! We saved them, fed and gave them water and shade for at least an hour while the parents were nowhere to be found. Kids had no life jackets, couldn't swim, no food, water or shade and it was hot Saturday. People take for granted the dangers that water brings. So sad but glad we didn't have back to back tragedies. Be safe, watch your kids and always wear a pfd.

This is the vary reason I avoid Lake Perris on the weekends and, at the insistence of my wife, I started wearing my PFD all of the time when on the water.

The people who abandoned their children at the water edge should be arrested for child endangerment! They are morons!

Quote Originally Posted by BassinPLS View Post
    This is the vary reason I avoid Lake Perris on the weekends and, at the insistence of my wife, I started wearing my PFD all of the time when on the water.

The people who abandoned their children at the water edge should be arrested for child endangerment! They are morons!
    The authorities were called and they said to inform the lake perris staff. We did tell the patrol guy but parents still weren't back and he had his hands full with idiots and needed to leave. With The amount of stupidity at that place on the weekends it is a miracle tragedies don't happen every Saturday and sunday.

First off, condolences to the family dealing with the lost of a loved one. As others have mentioned, safety measures are put in place to prevent this from happening. Hopefully others follow safety measures so that this doesn't occur again.

Second....

You need a license to catch a fish, but don't need a license to produce crotch fruit.

Crazy world we live in.

http://www.pe.com/2017/06/26/man-die...n-lake-perris/

Three people on a two-person inflatable. No life jackets.

It is a tragedy -- and it's the people he left behind that will suffer the most.

Yep, that would be the time and spot where I was when they were looking for him. It was no power boat zone so the guys probably just pushed off from shore in an inflatable for an afternoon of sun and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    First off, condolences to the family dealing with the lost of a loved one. As others have mentioned, safety measures are put in place to prevent this from happening. Hopefully others follow safety measures so that this doesn't occur again.

Second....

You need a license to catch a fish, but don't need a license to produce crotch fruit.

Crazy world we live in.
    Im not sure and a little off topic, but do you need a license to jet ski? Do you have to be a certain age? Or just tall enough to reach the throttle and be able to go full throttle to ride?

I am a member of a dive/rescue unit in so cal. I have recovered more drowned victims then my nightmares will allow me to forget. I have NEVER recovered a victim with a life jacket on...just food for thought.

It's bad when you don't have too die .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast