Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Legal Halibut Early Morning Fun 2 Day Report 6/22- 6/23

Default Legal Halibut Early Morning Fun 2 Day Report 6/22- 6/23

6/22 Thursday

Headed out and was on the beach at 3:30 AM. Conditions were a little rough, light mist and not to much wind. Surprisingly there wasn't to much salad. But there was some washing machine conditions. I was chucking the Lucky Craft FM 110 Pearl White Sardine. Diawa Luvias 3000H Spinner, on a 7ft Diawa Coastal rod. Extra Heavy. 12# Izorline tied straight to lure.

As I was walking out into the water I came across this big Spider Crab. It's the biggest one Iv'e seen and I have seen a few. Walked immediately the other way.

After a good 10 minutes of fan casting I get a nice hit. Ended up with this nice 20" Halibut.

Mug shot.

Not to much long after I get another hit. And that was another Halibut. The tide was coming in fast and conditions were getting bad.

Mug shot

Getting ready to leave I said one more cast about 5 casts later I get one more strike before I had to leave the sand. Ended up being this nice Calico Bass.

Posing.

Left the beach with a smile. Water was warm and it was so peaceful out there.

6/23 Friday

Headed out at the same time this morning. Arrived to better conditions. Wind had picked up a little though. Still not much salad in the water.

Started casting after getting in the water and seeing the usual suspects. Tons of Stingrays! A couple Leopard Sharks and a few Croakers cruising the skinny. A lot of baitfish around!

About 15 minutes in I get my first hit. A shorty Halibut with some neat colors.

mug shot

What happens next is where it gets good. Usually we all hate when we lose a fish right? Yeah, me too. Today was one I didn't real mind losing. I casted out pretty far, and hook this nice Halibut and bring the fish in close. I could tell it was a at least a 23 inch to 24 inch Halibut. I had one more wave to go before she was beached and pop off she goes. I was pretty bummed out at the time. But got right back to casting and on the very next cast the Big girl hit! I paused and made sure I set the hooks good this time.
    What a battle this fish was. At least 5 good solid drag runs and fighting the waves. So much fun fighting these fish in the surf, it's really addicting.
    After a few big thrashes and no more waves coming in, I finally beach my 29 inch Hailibut. Raised my arms in victory! Thinking about the one I just lost. It hit me and thought hmmmmm.
    Anyways here is some pictures. Nice solid fish and she was released to fight another day.

mug shot

She bent my hook pretty good, glad I didnt lose her.

Changed to a new Lucky Craft 110 Metallic Sardine, as time was running out. Got one more Halibut.

Getting redemption so quickly was so rewarding and made the whole outing that much sweeter. It was a great feeling it worked out that way this morning.

Grunion run coming up! Thanks for reading my report and good luck out there. Be safe! Until next tide.

Joel 8)

Nice write up Sir

Beautiful morning. Thanks for the report and details of your gear. When my arm heals (tendinitis going on a year), I want to switch from braid to mono. Extra Heavy. 12# Izorline sounds like a good choice. Do you use it exclusively? Or have other favorites?

Congrat's kastmaster1337,

A very nice Halibut indeed!
    When they get to the 24" size, that's when you can tell that they have some shoulders and put up a much heavier fight! WTG!

You were definitely blessed with a very nice fish count on this day Sir!!

Thanx for the fish report with pic's!

SP Dan <"))><