Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Mary/Twin Lakes

Default Lake Mary/Twin Lakes

Hi All,
    I'm going to be heading up to mammoth lakes in a few weeks. I've never fished the sierras... Can anyone give me any helpful hints on Lake Mary and Twin Lakes(lower twin is the better of the twins from what I've heard). Locations, baits, lures, etc.. I don't have any experience in this area at all, so any help will be much appreciated. I'm fairly experienced with most methods of trout fishing, just not sure what really works well out there in these lakes.
    Thank you!

I was just up there a week ago and the upper lakes in the Mammoth area are still frozen over. Those are Upper Twins, Lakes George, and Mary. The lakes that are open are Lower Twins, Rock Creek, Convict, June Lake Loop and Twin Lakes - Bridgeport. I would call one of the local stores and double check to see what lakes in the Mammoth area are open. Kittridge Sports (760) 934-7566, is a good place to check. You can also check The Troutfitter, flyfishing store, (760) 924-3676.

Quote Originally Posted by Kunihiro View Post
    I was just up there a week ago and the upper lakes in the Mammoth area are still frozen over. Those are Upper Twins, Lakes George, and Mary. The lakes that are open are Lower Twins, Rock Creek, Convict, June Lake Loop and Twin Lakes - Bridgeport. I would call one of the local stores and double check to see what lakes in the Mammoth area are open. Kittridge Sports (760) 934-7566, is a good place to check. You can also check The Troutfitter, flyfishing store, (760) 924-3676.
    Yeah, this is why I'm going in a few weeks(7/19-7/22)... I've been following the progress of the ice. Lake Mary road and Lake Mary opened Monday or Tuesday this week and it 100% ice free.
    Any tips for fishing the area?
    Last edited by goodguy; 06-22-2017 at 11:33 AM.

According to Mono County Tourism, The Mammoth Lakes Basin is open as of yesterday afternoon.

Ok... Anyone have fishing tips or are we just going to discuss the exact opening date. It's open, now... what about the fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by goodguy View Post
    Ok... Anyone have fishing tips or are we just going to discuss the exact opening date. It's open, now... what about the fishing?
    take everything you have for trout...

those thomas bouyants work well

ckastmasters

mealworms work exceptionally well if you're into that

salmon eggs sorta ok, gotta be attentive tho...

never used earthworms, too slimey for me, but hey if it's the only thing working, i'd do it

fly fishing can be good if conditions are right

powerbait definitely works too

i'd say try all you have til you hit the right rig-up...

i'd say you know how to fish already, use what you know...

and

if you can get a tip from a fellow fisherman who is catching...

do that.

i once did everything a japanese family (with a 90 year old grandfather too!) of fisherman, who were killing it, was doing about 30-40 feet away

exactly to the minute details... i spied everything they did

couldn't catch a thing

when they were leaving, the son comes over and said: hey, take our spot... about 25-30 feet out is a ledge (structure for the trout to hide if they need to "bolt")

the fish are holding there...

lol, damb skippy...

if i didn't catch the fish they left behind...

gl out there

Night crawlers. Dillies, actually. Baby nightcrawlers. Fish them under a bobber or Carolina rig them and play with the leader length. Might have to start long, even 30" if you can control that cast. Check the trash can at every fish cleaning table you can find, see if anyone threw out any fresh roe. Fish and Wildlife are planting triploids for the most part now but they do release diploids on occasion so maybe you will get lucky. If so, fish pieces the size of a small gumdrop on a treble hook and flyline it. Blow up the crawlers and grubs if you use those. Garlic scent on the worms. The lakes will fish like ice-out conditions with very cold water. Bites will likely be quite subtle so pay attention to your line as much as the rod tip or indicator you might be using. Good luck, post up a report please!

Oh, and be sure to use light line. 2 lb. is best, 4 is OK. I like clear Ande. Don't waste your money on that fluro nonsense.

Awesome, there's some GREAT information here. Pretty much what I was planning for. Thank you all so much! I will definetely post a report once we get back in town. We're staying in a hotel on 7/19, then camping 7/20 & 7/21. leaving 7/22. So there'll be plenty of time for fishing!

The water is very clear. Use 2 lb tess.

Garlic Powerbait is great, Rainbow, half of a night crawler if you can float it. The fish can see them if they
    are floating off the bottom. Are the fish lazy? Some of them are. They won't get the fish unless they are floating up.

Find the Big Rocks in the lake they are hiding under. You will need a tube or a boat.
    When the sun comes up they hide under the rocks or holes.
    Once you know the spot you can cast out to them.

Twin there are Bear caves up in the mountains. Carry some Spray.

The bears are for the most part just try to steal your food. But, they are wild. Try to pack it up before 4:30 pm.

We had a bear sneak up behind my kids they ran off and the bear at their food. I came in from the lake with my tube
    and the bear when they are eating are like dogs. Deaf and don't mess with them. They will eat and can't or don't want
    to be bothered. Lot of people were yelling from the boat to scare the bear but he did not bother to hear them.

They don't seem to be looking to harm people but they are Wild so never assume they are friendly.

It stays light out till 7:30 but they bears can arrive in the later afternoon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast