Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Tubing at its Best

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Tubing at its Best

I got my float tube about nine months ago and it's been a very cool journey. It's taken me a while to get it all dialed in. I wrestled with the gear at first; not in any major way, but for a while I was doing something different every time out, just with gear.

But sorting that stuff out is all part of the fun, so it was cool, but it's also nice to have it down to a science now, that I barely have to think about.

The biggest piece of the puzzle has been the actual fishing. I've been doing OK, but never really getting the numbers. I knew the problem had to be me and so I've been continuously thinking about how to do better. I've been researching and experimenting and trying to identify and solve problem areas in my skills.

It seems like it's starting to pay off. I had a 30 fish day a couple of weeks ago and a 26 fish day yesterday, with some pretty nice fish, so I'm feeling happy about making some progress. What can I say, it's more fun to catch more fish :D

I'm currently using 12 lb flurocarbon leader and hookup baits and it seems to be a deadly combo. I know everyone and their brother is touting hookups at the moment, but I think the proof is in the pudding and they seem to have elevated me from the back of the pack to running with the big dogs, so I'm all for them.

This guy was one of the highlights for me. Not much bigger than the bait, but pure aggression. Respect to this guy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bigfish.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	50072

This was the best fish of the day and a personal best spottie for me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fatty1.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	50073

There's no way to show the simple pleasure it is to float along with the tides and catch fish from a tube. It's just so cool!

The tides were perfect for tubing. Low tide was at 10:00 am, so it was ride the tide out to the bridge and then ride it back to Seabridge Park. I barely had to kick most of the day.

People were out, walking the sidewalks and working on their boats. I chit-chatted with people and got a lot of "good luck" comments. At one point you can see me showing a fish off to the right and it's because a couple who I had chatted with just a minute earlier were watching and I just happened to catch a fish right then. They applauded. I laughed.

Everything just all came together to make a great day. A day that wouldn't have happened without the tube.

That was quite the spottie slugfest,wtg OB!

Cya Tuna Vic