Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Newbie Desperate for Some Surf Fishing Advice in Huntington

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Newbie Desperate for Some Surf Fishing Advice in Huntington

Just moved to Huntington Beach, live by downtown. All this ocean has my bendo radar going beserk... been living inland for 5 years. Love seeing the ocean every day. I went surf fishing by the dog beach, I was told to use a Carolina Rig (1/2 lb) with Gulp Worms. I dunno man, I gotta be doing this wrong. using my 6 foot trout pole 6lb test, feel like I cast out by the second wave break, is that far enough? Feel like I should be hitting deeper water, but I've seen some youtube and researched some forums that, you kinda fish the surf like freshwater bass? Just keep casting and reeling? I got nothing man... appreciate any help.

Any suggestions of where to go? Wanna meet up? I'll buy you lunch!

Bro,
    You have to make sure you are using the correct size weight for the conditions.
    Also, try using Gulp worms in red & that's if no sand crabs are around.
    If the Carolina isn't working also try using a drop shot as well.
    If that doesn't work then try some small bait casters.
    Last, try using the Lucky Craft 110's.

The most important thing is to fish though.
    I'd come over and show you some places but I'm leaving for Hawaii next week.
    If no one has offered by the time I get back, I'll get in touch with you and show you a few things.

GOOD LUCK,

Robert
    <><

Nice info and offer to help Robert,very cool of you!

Cya Tuna Vic

I use a Carolina setup with bait/gulp when searching for perch and croaker. There seems to be no such thing as “too shallow.” Often times, fish will be right in the deep trough at your feet. Try not to hurry. I work the bait in gradually, allowing the waves to move it along the bottom as naturally as possible. Keep your line just tight enough to feel what’s going on.

You can also drag curly-tail grubs behind the Carolina. This can be utterly deadly for perch. I like to go low ‘n slow. Just enough to make the tail twitch.

Drop-shotting a fluke is another effective way to fish the surf. I use this setup when searching for halibut and/or Calicos.

Lucky Craft seem to work on anything with fins and tend to appeal to the larger predators. (However, hanging your first $20 lure on a distant boiler - and then another and possibly another - will ad a bittersweet note to your love affair with this iconic bait.)

Conditions will often dictate method. drop-shot or C-rig are way better for fishing soup and salad than a LC.

The most important thing is to keep moving. Find a hole/trough/rock/etc., work it thoroughly, and then head to the next spot.

More time on the water = more fish.

Here's another resource for surffishing:

www.scsurffishing.com

John

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    Lucky Craft seem to work on anything with fins and tend to appeal to the larger predators. (However, hanging your first $20 lure on a distant boiler - and then another and possibly another - will ad a bittersweet note to your love affair with this iconic bait.)
    Been there more than once

Zoom flukes for Halibut, Dropshot them. Can also be used as a killer jerkbait in the surf if T-rigged.

For halibut- Green Albino, White Ice, white pearl, smokin shad, sexy shad.

For surfperch/croakers (best if carolina or T-rigged)- Watermelonseed, green pumpkin, black, pumpkin spice

You can also use 4" grubs which will attract the larger surfperch than those dinky little 2" perch grubs which are a waste of time IMO.

the gulp 4" swimming mullets are probably the best saltwater gulp baits to use, they work well with carolina rigs, and croaker especially like them.

? .

I live in hb! Im going out in a bit to try for halibut and whatever else is biting. Lets link up sometime!