Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 3 Legal Halibut Morning AM Report In NC 6//8/17

Default 3 Legal Halibut Morning AM Report In NC 6//8/17

Headed out this morning and was on the beach at 3:30AM. Arrived to great conditions. No wind when I pulled up. As soon as I got down to the beach though I saw clumps of Seaweed everywhere. I was thinking to myself not good at all!

Found a spot that was a little weedy but definitely fishable. Waves were up a little and it was misting. June gloom in full effect. The one great thing I did see was alot of Silver streaks in the water. Always glad to see baitfish. Started casting the Lucky Craft 110 FM in Metallic Sardine. Took about 15 minutes before I got any action. But when the action hit the action sure stayed.

First Halibut was 22 inches and gave a nice couple of runs.

Released that one and ran back out and casted some more and got hit with a nice 23 inch Halibut.

Put up another nice fight and some nice drag runs too.

Ran back out again and another cast, another hit. This was a shortie Halibut. Still fun catching them though.

First light had arrived and I was already smiling from ear to ear at this point. Decided to try a few more casts before I had to go. This Halibut hit in close again. Again I saw it chase the lure up close to me. I would never think these big fish are so close to me. I'd think I would step on it eventually. It really amazes me. This Halibut inhaled the Lucky Craft and took some real nice drag runs. Finally after the last big wave crashed I beached my Halibut.

26 Inch Halibut.

It was hard getting the lure out of this Halibuts mouth, even without the middle treble . Kept the 26 inch halibut and safely released the others.

Look at those teeth!

What a fun morning on the sand. Nobody else on the beach and no surfers. ahhhhhhhhhhh I'll take it!

[

What a fun morning of fishing. Nobody else on the beach and no surfers. AHHHHHHHHHHH I'll take that any day!

Grunion run comin up. Should be for some great fishing.

Good luck out there everyone and thanks for reading.

Until next tide. Lines tight.

Joel 8)

what a great session, multiple legals don't line up very often but you found them.
    I got in the kelp with surfboard and caught a mess of calicos yesterday and sandies + couple rockfish. As you have seen the bait is there and nice quality and being chased by fish and marine mammals.
    And the water is surely feeling warm and it was calm-greasy, very peaceful.
    looking forward for more.
    tight lines

What a catch!!!! Congratulations!!!!

What a morning, Congrats on your outing!!!
    You got them dialed in, makes me want to go out and try my luck.
    Gotta love the lucky craft. I haven't gotten anything on them yet but I know they work.
    Keep the reports coming.

Thanks for sharing

Nice Joel!!
    You've definitely had the "Hot Stick" this year.
    If you want to know where the best grunion run is down South, shoot me a PM.
    Who knows, maybe we can share the sand and grab a few.
    Have A Blessed Weekend,
    Robert
    <><

Dang.... What a morning you had. I'm envious of your success. I'm yet to catch my legal from the surf.
    Few years back I lost what was more than legal in the surf when a big wave crashed on the fish.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Danny aka PE
    Last edited by pineapple express; 06-09-2017 at 09:18 AM.