Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Getting back into fishing-any suggestions?

Default Getting back into fishing-any suggestions?

I haven't been fishing in years, but I have been wanting to get back into it. I just went to Walmart and all their poles were sold-out. I purchased one pole combo I had found that wasn't on the rack. It seems like it'd be a good starter pole or for someone getting back into fishing. To be honest I never bought my gear when I did go fishing, my step-dad did, so I don't know anything about gear. Below is the current gear I have. I still need to get more gear before I can go on my fishing trip, but I'm also on a budget. I'm mainly interested in fishing for Trout and Catfish right now. There's other fish I'm interested in, but for now I'm just going to be fishing at the lake. I'd be thankful for any advice or suggestions you may have.

Zebco 202 slingshot
    4lb fishing line
    Snap on floats
    Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp sz 4/0
    Reusable Rig bait worms
    Last edited by Ren; 06-06-2017 at 08:37 PM.

You left lots of questions unanswered. Where do you live what area? Which lakes?
    Keep it simple. As easy as a split shot and tiny treble for trout or mini jigs like kastmaster.
    Problem is our power bait comes in 10 different colors it depends which one they want!!! Five dollars a jar is not cheap.
    Or can use nightcrawlers.

Catfish chicken liver /shrimp or even hotdogs. Dropper loop or any method to get the bait as far in the middle as possible
    It's a matter of finding the one spot they are in.
    Nightcrawlers also.

Your best bet is to call each local lake and find out when the last stock was. Or Santa Ana lakes after they stock.

Sometimes fish won't bite even when you can even see them like trout ������

Good luck and welcome to the club

Good luck

I haven't had a chance to figure out how to edit my profile on here yet. Sorry,I am in Northern California. I'll be fishing at Lake Kaweah. I saw some YouTube videos for trout bait recipes I was thinking of trying out. Thanks for the advice and thanks for the welcome! :)

get two ugly stick combos take that zebco back and get your money back.
    get spinning combos not spincast.
    order online get one ugly stick ultralight combo $50 for trout get one ugly stick combo $50 for cats
    get backpack
    get one big plano box one medium plano box one small plano box, will cover all your lures weights and hooks and help keep it all organised in your pack. and a rod holder or two.
    i try to stay as light as possible from the banks. its makes moving around trying to find the fish a lot easier.
    for trout i would use anywhere from size 10-size 1 hooks. if you are gonna catch and release and bait and wait i would recommend circle hooks. if you are jigging soft plastics then you can use j hooks.
    also get an arrangement of weights from super small to up to 1 oz maybe higher that about all i stick with but im not trying cast to middle of lake.
    i never fished lakes for trout or cats so i cant give much tips on what works, but when i would go up north i would hit like the owens river or creeks and rivers instead of lakes then i would hike the rivers and find the fish. i would mainly only use the old school panther martin spinners and thats it. always worked for me.. i know it sounds crazy only one lure but even last time i did a trip like 10 years ago its all i took with me because i am that confident in them. at least in that type of environment.
    if i was you i would also be on youtube a lot, look for guys that are local or at least local at the areas you want to go fish or at least the same kind of weather type of lakes ect you plan to fish to find the best tricks for what you want to do. others that i would take up north with me would just use nightcrawlers, salmon eggs, spinners, tiny soft plastics ect for trout.
    catfish i never targeted but catfish and carp on youtube would prob help you alot with set ups ect.
    so on my backpack i keep hooks weights pliers hat light in front small pocket of backpack
    all my soft plastics in the bigger pocket and plano boxes and rod holder ect in big portion and can still throw in a jacket in there.
    youtube is your friend for the best tips really. though i think i gave you some solid ones.
    Last edited by jdogg661420; 06-07-2017 at 07:59 AM.

Ok, thanks for the info. I just went to Walmart's site, but couldn't find which Ugly Stick Combo you were talking about. There was a lot of poles under that description. Thanks again!

https://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...light&cat_id=0

http://www.uglystik.com/uglystik-com...inning-combos/
    you dont need to buy it at walmart. and you prob wont find them there they are always sold out of combos and usually just have single pole for 45$ which is a rip off
    order online. if you dont have a cc to do it ask one of your friends.
    the gx2 if you click on it the ultralight is the top one a 4'6 or the 3rd one down a 7 footer which would prob be better at a lake.. there is only one catfish rod
    Last edited by jdogg661420; 06-07-2017 at 06:49 PM.

Both of them are out of stock right now, but thanks for all the help! :)