Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Flathead Catfish..

Default Flathead Catfish..

So yesterday, while fishing At Lake Evans in Fairmount Park for bass with a well known plastic bait, I caught a 27 inch Flathead Catfish! I thought I had hooked into my new personal best bass, but after several hard drag-pulling runs and not jumping, I knew it was either a big carp or a Channel Catfish. I was super surprised that I had caught a Flathead Catfish. I had heard that there were Flatheads in there but until now I had never seen one.
    Cool looking fish, very yellow. I wonder who put them in the lake. Possibly a few were stocked in the past when the lake gets some Channel Cats dumped in the lake for the annual fishing derbies?
    I did not get a pic of it because my nice camera was with the wife and my phone takes terrible photos. This was almost exactly what it looked like:

Those things are real predators. Anything smaller than their head gets eaten.
    Can't catch them at DVL, cause they are reportedly fully nocturnal.

A month or two ago, DFW had their shocking boat in the big lake. They were collecting catfish.

someone is going around the IE playing bucket biologist at the peril of your fisheries.

Yeah,.. And two piranhas and an African Clawed frog caught in the last two weeks (that I know about, so there are probably even more weird catches there that I have not seen.)