Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: June 4,2017 out of daveys locker

Default June 4,2017 out of daveys locker

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5038.jpg 
Views:	545 
Size:	97.3 KB 
ID:	50012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5034.jpg 
Views:	455 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	50013Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5035.jpg 
Views:	469 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	50011My two oldest sons, and I went out from Davey's locker aboard the Freelance on a 3/4 day trip. The morning started off with sculpin fishing. I used a flat fall 6oz with a whole strip of squid and caught the bigger sized sculpin, not the barely or almost ten inches most people were catching. However, I only caught about a good six or so meanwhile my second oldest was killing it with a buck tail. Every cast he was hooking. His set up was a double loop; one with a hook and a strip of squid and the other a buck tail (a few double hookup on his rod). My oldest was fishing and caught a few, then he had to go sit down before...... well, his first time on open party boat and on the ocean waters so you could only imagine how he was feeling. At least he never threw up.
    So we stayed there for a few hours and went to Catalina island in hopes of some yellowtail or for them Bonita. We left for the island around 11. While going there, I heard some guy come out of the galley saying something about a drunk lady in there just cussing. So I made sure that my kids and I stay out here. Well, almost a couple hours go by we headed straight to the actual island where people actually visited. I wondered to myself why are going to fish there? Then comes out a boat headed our way which looked to me like the coast guard. I tell myself great, that's going to be killing some time. Well, turns out the lady who was cussing down in the galley was already drunk before she got on to the boat, drank more, and............yes..........a sculpin stung her. Make a long story short she almost fell in the water when they transported her from one boat to the other and off fishing we went.
    I didn't do well at the island. I was hoping for yellows. But none. We made a few stops circled around a few times throwing some chum in the water and nothing. No one anything. Finally our last stop of the day, I got hit hard and only stayed for a quick two seconds and came off. So I reeled in my sardine and I can see a barracuda chasing it and trying to eat it as I was reeling in. But my bait was already tired. Put a new sardine on, turned around, no place to throw it because obviously you step out of your one feet zone then it's gone.
    So I didn't care and tossed it out there (hey 78 people were on this boat ok), the guy turned to look at me and I said oh excuse me. He didn't move so I politely held my rod between him and another guy (these two guys were bottom fishing in the back of the bow, please go to the side or the front please). I got bit again rod actually bent, put my reel on strike, line peeled, I was just going I yell "fresh!!!!" Then it stopped. I was like wtf?! Then a seal pops out of the water laughing at me, and I gave that seal the middle finger. That was that.
    After that I watched my two sons killing it fishing for calicos, blue perch, Spanish jacks, and a sheepshead. Hey, I was not at all disappointed in this trip. It was mission accomplished. Spent quality time with my two oldest, they both caught a lot of fishes, no drama and hardly any tangle from us. We fresh water fish a lot so at least with that experience, we have some little knowledge of where our line is at, most of the time, not all. The sheepshead was caught on strip of squid 1/0 live bait hook with a 3/8 ounce sliding weight to the bottom. It was almost the jackpot on the boat. The. Calico bass was caught the same.
    One more thing, literally as soon as the captain fired up the engine and asked everyone to reel them in, the person standing next to me, his reel literally starting peeling. I looked at it and knew it was a nice fish or a seal. Turned out to be a 7-8pound yellowtail. He took jackpot. All in all, this experience on the freelance was great. The crew this time was great. Captain, no complaints. The cook, delicious. 78 people fishing with hardly any drama, majority people on the boat was very nice and surprisingly, not too many tangle. Well, at least for my sons and I. Thanks for reading everyone and tight lines.
    Last edited by Jhondayang; 06-05-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Nice job!
    Hoping to head out on the salt more in the next couple of months. Cross my fingers for no drunk scallywags on my next trip! lol

Great report and good times out with the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhondayang View Post
    ...turns out the lady who was cussing down in the galley was already drunk before she got on to the boat, drank more, and............yes..........a sculpin stung her. Make a long story short she almost fell in the water when they transported her from one boat to the other
    And Sculpin strikes again!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Great report and good times out with the family.

And Sculpin strikes again!

Thanks. Always good times out with the kids. This weekend we will be out at DVL. So I will fart making my fish reports. My second oldest has his YouTube channel if everyone can please take a quick minute or two to check out his channel and help support the future anglers.

And LOL on the beer. When we got home that evening, my wife asked me how the sculpin looks like. I described it to her and she said "wait, is it that fish on the cover of that one beer sculpin?" I said yes. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by mr cos View Post
    Nice job!
    Hoping to head out on the salt more in the next couple of months. Cross my fingers for no drunk scallywags on my next trip! lol
    Haha. For sure. Saltwater fishing can be a fun trip or it can be a terrible trip. It's how you make of it. I try to avoid the negativity on the boat. Since we're on that subject, my second oldest andrew said to me when we got home that there were a couple guys nagging at him that why is he fishing their spot on the boat, he's in their spot. My son was brave because he told the guys that this is an open party boat and everyone is free to fish any open spots if there are any. I asked him why he did not mention anything to me, he said because if he did he knows that I would have said something to them. But honestly, my son did an excellent job telling those guys off in a good way. Btw, he's only 13 and these grown *** men were trying to bully my kid. Oh wait, haha, my son was hooking up left and right. I forgot and they weren't. Lol.
    If anything they should be cheering my kids on and high fiveing Them. That's what I always do to anyone.

Haha. For sure. Saltwater fishing can be a fun trip or it can be a terrible trip. It's how you make of it. I try to avoid the negativity on the boat. Since we're on that subject, my second oldest andrew said to me when we got home that there were a couple guys nagging at him that why is he fishing their spot on the boat, he's in their spot. My son was brave because he told the guys that this is an open party boat and everyone is free to fish any open spots if there are any. I asked him why he did not mention anything to me, he said because if he did he knows that I would have said something to them. But honestly, my son did an excellent job telling those guys off in a good way. Btw, he's only 13 and these grown *** men were trying to bully my kid. Oh wait, haha, my son was hooking up left and right. I forgot and they weren't. Lol.
    If anything they should be cheering my kids on and high fiveing Them. That's what I always do to anyone.
    Right on. Kids kick *** at fishing and that's important to carry on the torch.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyJ View Post
    Right on. Kids kick *** at fishing and that's important to carry on the torch.
    I agree. I remember on the same trip there was this young teen that got a bad line tangle with my son. I knew that him and his dad were inexperienced, and the deck men were not nearby. So I took my time to untangle it. Took me a few minutes, and without cutting any lines I took the nasty tangle off, turned to the young teen gave him a high five, and I told him to go catch more fishes. He gave me a big smile and fished on.

I agree. I remember on the same trip there was this young teen that got a bad line tangle with my son. I knew that him and his dad were inexperienced, and the deck men were not nearby. So I took my time to untangle it. Took me a few minutes, and without cutting any lines I took the nasty tangle off, turned to the young teen gave him a high five, and I told him to go catch more fishes. He gave me a big smile and fished on.
    great job with helping with positive experiences. that's what will keep the kids fishing