Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Legal Halibut In The Dark AM Report 6/9/17

Default Legal Halibut In The Dark AM Report 6/9/17

Headed out again this morning, only had about 45 minutes to fish before I had to run off the sand and head to work. Conditions again were perfect. All the clumps of salad were gone. Low surf and again no wind! Little bits of weeds on every cast. Water was very active. With my headlamp on I could see a lot of activity in the water. Leopard Sharks, Saw a decent sized Bean cruising around. At times, I could see these eyes just cruising the skinny. Water temp has risen slightly. Lots of stingrays present. This is crazy but, I actually like seeing the Rays. It tells me they are feeding and that's a great sign. Saw these micro bait fish everywhere. Saw one up close finally as it was wounded. Maybe a inch and half long 2 inches max. I tried to look at the color and I couldn't really tell if it was a baby grunion? It seemed to have that pattern though.

Took a good 20 minutes before I got my strike and only strike of the morning. And what a solid hit it was. Drag was set just right and a fresh retie helped tremendously. This fish put up a pretty good fight. Kept the line tight the whole way in.

27 inch Halibut got beached and was safely released to get bigger and catch another day. Ran off the beach. Pretty darn happy!

Here's some pictures.

Very close to 27.5

Mug shot with the Lucky Craft Flash Minnow 110 Metallic Sardine. Middle hook removed. Izorline 12#

Hope you guys get out there this weekend and hit the beach. This grunion will bring in the big fish! Good luck and be safe out there.

Thanks for reading. Tight lines.

Joel

awesome report again!
    you got it down.
    sorry ignorance but NC north Carolina?

There is absolutely no stopping kastmaster!!!! Unreal season you've been having.

@madbass - I am pretty sure it means "North County" and I presume that to be San Diego County because you'd call North OC Huntington or Seal, and you'd call north LA Malibu, right? Hopefully my deductive reasoning didn't just embarrass me on the interwebz and I got it right :)

Default Halibut

Nice catch , must have to made the day at work float byyyyyyyyy .