Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catfishing at Lake Wohlford

Default Catfishing at Lake Wohlford

I fish somewhere every week but not all of the trips are worthy of a report. But a gentlemen here at FNN was interested in a trip at either Wohlford or Hodges. So I thought I would talk about what we did on Tuesday May 30 at Lake Wohlford. I'm involved in an animal rescue now as an additional responsibility, so fishing on Tuesday was a nice break from work and my other family responsibility's. I had Glenn with me on this adventure and our target fish were Crappie & Catfish. I have yet to catch or see a Crappie caught but the people at the Boat dock tell me people are catching them. This time I got 2 specific spots from the boat attendants as where to try to catch a Crappie.

We started off on the North bank were allegedly Crappie were being caught. We threw a wide assortment of Crappie lures down the whole bank and had zero bites. We then shot over to the south shore rock pile where there was suppose to be another good place to catch a Crappie. The same results there too, not even a bite!!! By now Glenn was done but I was just getting started. We hadn't even started fishing for Catfish and Glenn want's to go home. (that's what I call pussing out!!!) Fortunately I drove to the lake and I'm running the boat so we are not leaving!!!

I fished for catfish enough there to know 2 good area's to try for them in the deep water. I fish for these things a little differently then most people. I'm drifting in the boat the whole time and never anchoring up. I also know what these things like to eat. Night crawlers are their favorite followed by power bait, shrimp and whatever else we got going that day. Today for me was an N/C on 1 pole and a mini jig on my Barbie pole. (I still want to catch a Crappie) For Glenn he was absolutely "Worthless" today!!! He didn't get a bite and Bitched the whole time wanting to go home. I caught a catfish the first 3 minutes we were drifting so I knew it was going to be an ok kind of day. The catfish come in 3 sizes there, barely a pound, 1.5-2.0 and 3.5-5.0 pounds a piece. The first catfish was a #2 pound channel and the next one was a perfect #2 pound Blue catfish. I caught a couple of the small ones so I was having a decent day. I missed some bites and had 2 fall off the hook including a fish on the mini jig. (so I was getting plenty of action) Glenn was still Bitching the whole time waiting for the whistle to blow so we could go home. He was even making whistle sounds in the boat encouraging me to leave. (they were biting so I wasn't going anywhere) As we were drifting along the Mini jig got bit on the Barbie pole. (the Barbie pole has #2 pound test and is 4 feet long) It's a good fish fighting hard, yet I have no idea what it is???? It's making long runs near the surface, so I'm expecting a 5 pound Bass to make a jump any time. (remember it bit a mini jig) It never jumped so maybe a big trout???? Much to my surprise when it finally came into view, it was a 5 pound Blue Catfish!!!! We netted it and even though there was still time left in the day for more fishing, I pulled the plug and headed home. (much to the delight of Glenn!!!)

In the 3 hours of catfishing I had 10 bites, 7 hook ups and 5 fish landed. Not bad considered they only stock catfish in July and Aug at the lake. If it's this good now, what will it be like then?????? I can't wait to find out!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 06-04-2017 at 01:19 PM.

Tuck,

Ever thought of putting a bobber on those crappie baits?

I've seen instances where they will NOT follow any baits, but if you put one in their face for minutes on end, they're bound to hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Tuck,

I've seen instances where they will NOT follow any baits, but if you put one in their face for minutes on end, they're bound to hit it.
    That's a good thought. When I fish from shore for Crappies (like lake Elsinore) I always use a bobber. When I'm in a boat (Lake Wohlford) I just jig the Crappie lures. So far by doing that I've only got a "CRAPPIE" result!!! lol So next time I'll try it with a bobber. I can't get a worse result!!!! lol

Tuck,

Finally we had some success on those pesky Lake Wohlford Crappies!!!! Guess what the key to our success was???? (after we located a good spot) Putting a bobber above our baits!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Finally we had some success on those pesky Lake Wohlford Crappies!!!! Guess what the key to our success was???? (after we located a good spot) Putting a bobber above our baits!!!!!
    Good

Job

Tuck!

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Brent View Post
    Good

Job

Tuck!

LOL

three-way goin' on over here?

lol.

come on back to fake news

you started it...

jus me and anadromous

ding DING !

knocked you the pho que out?

these are the kmembers still hanging and hehe hoho hi hi haha at your posts...

still got your net?

lol

btw

u2 homoboybs should really try to keep the bantering in gen disc

where it belongs...

lol

That's really cute!!!

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    That's really cute!!!
    ;-)

Your stock is going up, eTuck!