Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Would it be easier...

Default Would it be easier...

for a fish to see

a double strand of 4lb. flouro (side-by-side)

or

a single strand of 8lb.?

2 x 4lb flouro has way more surface area than 1 x 8lb, which means more refraction surfaces at the leader-water interface, which should equate to more visibility.

However, after having switched entirely to straight braid and nanofil without a leader and catching more fish than ever, I believe that most fish just don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    2 x 4lb flouro has way more surface area than 1 x 8lb, which means more refraction surfaces at the leader-water interface, which should equate to more visibility.

However, after having switched entirely to straight braid and nanofil without a leader and catching more fish than ever, I believe that most fish just don't care.
    Nanofil . Never even looked at the stuff. Is nanofil your leader then?

Is nanofil easier to see in the water than flouro? In your eyes?

I've looked at flouro and mono in my fish tank... I believe I see both the same i.e., easily.

I've watched fish with my braid whizzing by their nose and it's like they TRULY DON'T see it, [or the flouro that then goes by] and they only react when the item with the hook passes by. ..

Always wondered about that...

Thanks

Do you use this setup in both fresh and salt? I'm wondering if tuna and such see it like bass and trout? Or vice versa?

Thanks in advance...

Mostly freshwater - all kinds of bass, trout, catfish, stripers, panfish. None seem to care. Even with a finesse presentation, I think it's more about the diameter and limpness/suppleness of the line, not the actual visibility. They'll eat an umbrella/Alabama rig with all kinds of steel wires, they'll eat a crankbait with 2-3 big treble hooks hanging down the bottom, I don't think your main line is any more apparent than that.

I believe both mono and flouro pipe light down from the surface, almost like a fiber optic strand.

And nanofil is very temperamental about the knot, if not 100% perfect then it WILL break easily. It's diameter is so small that it can easily cut through itself in a bad knot. But it's worth it to me, as it casts an unbelievable distance with minimal weight. I can fish a lighter, more subtle, natural presentation with a line that has almost no cross-sectional area (and therefore not as visible as you'd think), which I'm convinced helps me catch more fish. But others absolutely hate the stuff, and I can understand why.

Shinbob is correct bout the likelihood that the fish don't seem too care about the fishing line at least that's my opinion now.

I fish the surf nearly exclusively and that exclusively with lures (hardbaits, swimmys, and spoons). My friends all use either fluorocarbon or mono leaders to braid. I did too until last season. I got tired of the leader tying (to braid) and decided to go with one of there newer tech superlines. I went with Berkely Fireline Crystal - Nanofil is another superline option. I tie directly to the Fireline, no leader. I have noticed no difference in hits and hook-ups compared with before. But... the stuff cast awesome - great distances. Like Shinbob says, knots are critical - tie 'em right and re-tie before each session. I love it!

BTW: I use the 14lb Fireline
    Last edited by anchor3n1; 05-31-2017 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hookdfisherman View Post
    Do you use this setup in both fresh and salt? I'm wondering if tuna and such see it like bass and trout? Or vice versa?

Thanks in advance...
    I bet the toonys don't care. They want that tasty sardine or yummy iron dangling in front of their face.

You could always try an experiment with two rigs one with a leader one not and see what happens. Course with the cost of a trip to the toona grounds and the hope of getting a big un you might not want to take that chance of spooking the doods
    : • 0

Quote Originally Posted by anchor3n1 View Post
    I bet the toonys don't care. They want that tasty sardine or yummy iron dangling in front of their face.

You could always try an experiment with two rigs one with a leader one not and see what happens. Course with the cost of a trip to the toona grounds and the hope of getting a big un you might not want to take that chance of spooking the doods
    : • 0
    Shopped bass pro today. Not the greatest prices there for sure but nanofil costs an arm and a leg, make that both legs.

With conditions on a boat possibly being jam packed and the delicacy of that line, I'll stick with braid , top shot of mono [for easier tangle untying, when possible ] and a flouro leader. As far as fiber optics, it might matter except my "top shot to leader" knot provides me enough of a discontinuous connection. For only braid and flouro leader while tuna fishing, my leader is usually completely underwater.

I bought Berkley vanish once, hated it, use Berkley big game a lot, but that nanofil is too costly. Besides I feel better being able to toss out a reel spool of "once stretched during a good fight" line for fresh new line at the cheap trivago prices...

I also tie and re-tie a lot, so I try to do it quickly... I'm always looking for the strongest and quickest knot. I think I wouldn't have the patience many have in tying those care and skill knots necessary with nano. .. that's why I hated vanish... my experiment with a line is to tie an overhand knot and pull hard... if it breaks when it shouldn't I never use that line again... thats vanish from my use of it.

Sorry for the long windedness but this was kewl for me!

Great and informative, a convo I'll not forget... thanks all...