Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Legal Grumpy Calicos AM Report 5/26/17

Default Legal Grumpy Calicos AM Report 5/26/17

Last pre work session for 3 days! No more running off the beach and heading to work just in time. =) Next three days should be fun! I'm hearing great weather and good surf ahead!

Armed with the Lucky Craft 110 FM Metallic Sardine I started casting. I could see silver streaks all over the water. Also saw what looked like a wounded Grunion or Smelt. It was pretty cool to see. Conditions were the same. Awesome! Water was a little chilly though to be honest! Quickly got used to it.

Took a good 20 minutes before I got a small Halibut to stick.

Foul hooked Halibut

That go to spot died, and that's all that was there. Time was running out and wanted to try a spot closer to the car.

Lots of bait fish around at this spot too. A few casts in and I feel a Whack! Set the hook and started battling this nice legal grumpy calico. These are alot of fun to fight in the surf.

18 Inch Calico

Released the fish and had a few more casts left in me. Another Calico hit, not as big but just as fun. Didn't measure it but it was decent size too.

Changed to the 115 LuckyCraft. That first Calico bent my hooks =(

Fun quick session for sure! Glad I get to take my time coming up the next few days. Again it was so quiet and relaxing out there all alone! Maygray really has a grasp out there too!

Have a great weekend everyone. Thanks for reading.

Joel 8)

Nice session - thanks for posting .These bigger calicos are fun fighters and great bonus to get for your surf fishing mix. I'm planning to meet them in the kelp soon.
    Hope it is a fun weekend , conditions look good so far.

Very nice looking Calis,that first picture of the flat one makes it look like a very large legal beast,nice outing thanks!

Cya Tuna Vic

Wow, nice fish! Great report, thanks!