Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current Bluegill & Redear bite?

Default Current Bluegill & Redear bite?

Has anyone caught any Bluegill or Redears at Lake Perris recently? I'm going out in my float tube this week to do some ultralight tackle fishing for these little fighters, just wondering where to go. I want to fish the Bernasconi area, but that area is closed to vehicles and it's just way too far for me to kick my 'tube there from the other side of the lake.

The worst ever for this time of year as of last Thursday afternoon and evening, May 18. I couldn't get a single bite in the marina or launch ramp area, but I was fishing from docks. The week before, I did get a bite and caught a 14 inch bass on a redworm at the little fishing pier in Sail Cove. I have yet to catch a Bluegill or Redear this year at Lake Perris, but I have caught a few at the Colorado River and some large Crappie at Clear Lake during Spring Break. I also caught a 9 pound, 12 ounce Carp on the Colorado River on a redworm on May 4, and a 17 inch holdover trout at Lake Gregory on May 11. LOL I am starting to wonder if there was a fish dieoff at Perris, or perhaps the water is still too chilly, but the weather doesn't seem that cold.

By the way, word from others is the same. They are saying that panfish just aren't biting at Perris this year so far, except for an occasional large fish. The lack of people fishing in the usual spots tells me that as well. Those I did see fishing, had not caught any.

I've got a couple of buddies that strictly fish for bass from their boats, and they will catch a large Bluegill or two on bass lures. This tells me that if a person goes out there with the right tackle and baits for Bluegill/Redear and can find the groups of these fish, fishing will be very good. The water temp is approximately 68-70 degrees, so this is just about perfect for a good panfish bite.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    I've got a couple of buddies that strictly fish for bass from their boats, and they will catch a large Bluegill or two on bass lures. This tells me that if a person goes out there with the right tackle and baits for Bluegill/Redear and can find the groups of these fish, fishing will be very good. The water temp is approximately 68-70 degrees, so this is just about perfect for a good panfish bite.
    Good luck and write a fish report either way.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Good luck and write a fish report either way.
    Haven't been this year but in past years I would do very well around the island. If your standing on the docks in the marina looking at the island the right side of the island has some deep rock piles. I would also go to a rock that sticks up out the water behind the island and drift. I would use 90 percent crickets on a thin, light hook or a micro gig. His both ways with and without a small split shot. I may go this holiday weekend. Anyone else going?

chatmar- I know what set up to use. I've fished Bluegill at LP for many years. On my 2 lb test outfits I use either a hand tyed 1/80 oz. belly spin chub jig tipped with a cricket or waxwork and/or a overhand 10 inch loop knot dropshot style rig with a #8 black circle hook a foot above #7 splitshot. This I usually bait with a cricket for Bluegills or a garden worm for the Redears.
    I mostly just wanted to know where I should launch my float tube from. It's a distance to kick to the island, especially if the wind picks up when I am done fishing and coming back in. But thank you for the tip!

Wife and I had good luck by sail cove. Several standard .8lb 'gill. One 1.3lb brute. Also by the swimming beach got a few.
    Autos w/crickets. We were fishing by boat -- totally empty day with rain -- and the ranger chased us out of both places... no swimmers, no sailors -- I guess rules are rules.

But -- with the lake being up so full (relatively speaking) it has mucked with the "standard" locations of the 'gills.

Quote Originally Posted by fishmounter View Post
    chatmar- I know what set up to use. I've fished Bluegill at LP for many years. On my 2 lb test outfits I use either a hand tyed 1/80 oz. belly spin chub jig tipped with a cricket or waxwork and/or a overhand 10 inch loop knot dropshot style rig with a #8 black circle hook a foot above #7 splitshot. This I usually bait with a cricket for Bluegills or a garden worm for the Redears.
    I mostly just wanted to know where I should launch my float tube from. It's a distance to kick to the island, especially if the wind picks up when I am done fishing and coming back in. But thank you for the tip!

Hey Jeff! let me know if you decide on a day. We could try sailcove, I saw a few groups of gills in that area last year. Saw a few as they hit the jig to! of the course the water was a bit lower then.

Default Panfish

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Lefty View Post
    By the way, word from others is the same. They are saying that panfish just aren't biting at Perris this year so far, except for an occasional large fish. The lack of people fishing in the usual spots tells me that as well. Those I did see fishing, had not caught any.
    Ive made a total of 6 fishing outings this year and have only see 1 bluegill at all . Ive only seen bass and the occasional trout.The past couple of years you could only get bluegills fishing from a boat near the dam area at Perris. The water level beeing sow low they had no cover along the shore. This will change however once the lake fills. Hopefully.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast